Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The debate about static or dynamic hydraulic valve adjustment is old. Some like it hot/running. Some like it cold. My pop always did hydraulics running, and solids static. But, that is not the thread. Just showing some guys a new/old trick I did today. I hate clips, and tall valve covers won't fit in with all my smog crap. So, I drilled 1 1/8" holes in my stock covers that came with the crate engine, since I re-used the 81 magnesium ones. No mess at all.

This was taken while idling at 650.

Off to get new gaskets. Turns out Fel-Pro now makes a valve cover gasket exactly the same as the one-piece pan gasket. Silicone with three rows of ribs, with a steel core.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Yep, thats the kind I put on my car after I put my new heads on, nice gaskets, you'll like them:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Dude! That's very creative of you. I've used the clips before, cardboard and what have you, but your idea is:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Now, ain't that cute..:D

And after you're done, run down to Home Depot or Lowe's and pickup 16 1-1/8 stainless sink plugs.. A little RTV and GOOD AS NEW!!!!:rolling:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cool man. :thumbsup: I'm guessing they'll be on loan to the DC crew as needed right? :smokin:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, ain't that cute..:D

And after you're done, run down to Home Depot or Lowe's and pickup 16 1-1/8 stainless sink plugs.. A little RTV and GOOD AS NEW!!!!:rolling:
If I can't get rid of this idle miss, I'll be picking up a car shredder.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If I can't get rid of this idle miss, I'll be picking up a car shredder.:laughing:
Well I'm guessing that after adjusting the valves you still have the miss?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I still have that edelbrock carb and intake B2B :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
:thud: :thud: :thud:
I feel for ya,,,,,,I'm in the same boat!

After going through the entire ignition system...plugs, wire, dist rebuild...and the carb rebuild and adjusting the valves both cold and hot(I have a set of valve covers that I cut the tops off which is great for adjusting the valves and inspecting while running), I still have the ever so slight miss at idle.

I even used the seafoam trick down the carb...that was fun, but I don't think the neighbors thought so:lookinup:

The car runs great..but that ever so slightly annoying miss at idle...and it is not a consistent miss. The vacuum guage reads a steady 17...but I get the tiny little blip with the miss..................

Going to leave well enough alone...

I do like your nice clean cut valve covers though!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I feel for ya,,,,,,I'm in the same boat!

After going through the entire ignition system...plugs, wire, dist rebuild...and the carb rebuild and adjusting the valves both cold and hot(I have a set of valve covers that I cut the tops off which is great for adjusting the valves and inspecting while running), I still have the ever so slight miss at idle.

I even used the seafoam trick down the carb...that was fun, but I don't think the neighbors thought so:lookinup:

The car runs great..but that ever so slightly annoying miss at idle...and it is not a consistent miss. The vacuum guage reads a steady 17...but I get the tiny little blip with the miss..................

Going to leave well enough alone...

I do like your nice clean cut valve covers though!
Have you done a compression or cylinder leak down test? A little blip on the vacuum gauge would seem to signify a valve problem.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Have you done a compression or cylinder leak down test? A little blip on the vacuum gauge would seem to signify a valve problem.
Been stalling on doing the tests...the ignition system and carb needed a rebuild anyway, so I did that first.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
BBC, I've got the same issue with my '79. (by no means a daily driver) so I've been putting off investigating the problem. I'm not sure I want to find out either.:lookinup: The engine itself only has a few thousand miles on it, but that doesn't really mean anything..:lookinup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BBC, I've got the same issue with my '79. (by no means a daily driver) so I've been putting off investigating the problem. I'm not sure I want to find out either.:lookinup: The engine itself only has a few thousand miles on it, but that doesn't really mean anything..:lookinup:
I am in the same boat. 3,000 miles on new crate engine. Had the pan off and checked things while there. Re-adjusted the valves. Compresson test. New plugs, tried other wires, tried other cap and coil, plugged all vacuum ports. Still has a slight miss and vacuum variance at idle. Rev it up, and it runs great. Even broke the tires loose for the first time since I've owned it. Only aftermarket is brand new Performer intake with "their"recommended gaskets, and a DUI dizzy. The only "iffy"thing is I sourced out the E4ME carb. I regret this, and am going thru it today. Hope to find something there. If not, I am as stumped as I have ever been on a tuning. :huh: :WTF

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I am in the same boat. 3,000 miles on new crate engine. Had the pan off and checked things while there. Re-adjusted the valves. Compresson test. New plugs, tried other wires, tried other cap and coil, plugged all vacuum ports. Still has a slight miss and vacuum variance at idle. Rev it up, and it runs great. Even broke the tires loose for the first time since I've owned it. Only aftermarket is brand new Performer intake with "their"recommended gaskets, and a DUI dizzy. The only "iffy"thing is I sourced out the E4ME carb. I regret this, and am going thru it today. Hope to find something there. If not, I am as stumped as I have ever been on a tuning. :huh: :WTF
Bird..the only thing that I didn't do when I rebuilt the carb was to seal up the well plugs....I might be regretting that now. This morning I looked inside the the carb and saw a small puddle of gas in the intake....I am starting to think that my miss at idle could be a drip of gas from the well plug causing a momentary spike at idle..my miss is not consistent..it will idle fine for a few revolutions and then I get the miss or maybe it is a surge:WTF

Did they guy who did your rebuild repair the well plugs?

Maybe I'm grasping at straws:smack

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I am in the same boat. 3,000 miles on new crate engine.
Mine is a goodwrench crate engine too... do I detect a trend here? Maybe the Mexicans where thinking about cerveza time while building engines that day? :cheers:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bird..the only thing that I didn't do when I rebuilt the carb was to seal up the well plugs....I might be regretting that now. This morning I looked inside the the carb and saw a small puddle of gas in the intake....I am starting to think that my miss at idle could be a drip of gas from the well plug causing a momentary spike at idle..my miss is not consistent..it will idle fine for a few revolutions and then I get the miss or maybe it is a surge:WTF

Did they guy who did your rebuild repair the well plugs?

Maybe I'm grasping at straws:smack

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is a goodwrench crate engine too... do I detect a trend here? Maybe the Mexicans where thinking about cerveza time while building engines that day? :cheers:
Do me/you a favor. Pull #7 plug and see if it's oily.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts