Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the comp cams instructions and adjusted first the inlet and then the exhaust side finished with the eighth cyl,
which direction should the rotor point to? The rotor can either point to the right side or the left side right now its pointing at the right side of the engine but im not distributor 180 degres wrong.
Ought to go to figure out if you finished adjusting the exhaust side at number eight cylinder
Is so damn hard to spin the engine with all the gadgets installed in order to find the TDC in first cylinder
Any help is appreciated

i hope you understand my bad english , tried to use google translate but it sucks :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
The way I do mine make sure the liffters are on the Heal of the cam Both Vavles close or just one valves other open adjust the closed valve to spec's.
I use the spn the push rod untill it has some drag to it then 1/2 turn more.

I know it not by the book but if the valves all the way colsed on any cylinder you should be able to adjust the lash on that valve.

You can pull the plugs out the motor put a wrench on the banencer to turn the motor over by hand.

I just pull the power wire from the Coil and bump the motor with the starter motor.

At the same time wacthing the rocker arms seeing they close for the cylinder I want to adjust.

·
Registered
543 Posts
well i adjusted the valves but i need to find out where the rotor should point.
With Timing mark set at 6% Advancxe on TDC the Rotor should be pointed at 5 o Clock postion.

Pull the plugs use a socket and extention to turn the motor over.

Dont make the mistake I have when you set up the cam make sure #1 Cyn is TDC not #6.

Ya I brain farted on that one.

When I put my cam in it was Dot To Dot but 180 out.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Use the starter to turn the engine over. When the valves on #6 are both equally open and equally closed, #1 should be at TDC on the compression stroke. At that time your rotor should point to the #1 spark plug wire. Good luck

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i was hoping for an easy way without having to rotate the engine to find tdc at no 1 cylinder

·
Registered
197 Posts
Disable ignition and fuel pump first.

TDC for #1 is easy. Remove all the spark plugs. Have a friend bump the starter for you. Stick your thumb up against the spark plug hole (NOT DOWN IN IT). As #1 is coming up towards TDC you wil feel compression in that cylinder and it will blow your thumb away from the spark plug hole and make a loud huff sound. Look at the timing mark on the balancer and turn it with a ratchet to line that mark up with the timing pointer ( ZERO). (most likely the balancer mark will be just a little past it) Back it up to align the timing marks. This should only be a inch or less distance to back it up. That is #1 TDC.
*harmonic balancer turn clockwise so backing it up will Counterclockwise when aligning marks*
This applies to every cylinder but you can only use the timing mark for #1.

I just stick a screwdrived down in the hole (dont bump the starter) and you feel the next piston coming up in the firing order as you rotate the harmonic balancer with a ratcher. Find the highest spot that pushes up on the screwdriver and that is TDC for that cylinder.

Remember that you have to follow the firing order.

Once you find #1 TDC you can go ahead and rotate the distributor (if it was loosened and position disturbed) until #1 spark plug terminal on the cap is in line with it. Put #1 spark plug on there. The next spark plug in the firing order will be the next terminal going CLOCKWISE. (#8) and so on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The Toilet Paper trick will also work if your by you'r self when the waded ball of TP blows out spark plug hole the pistons comming up then use the wrench to get the rest of the timming marks on the money.

I also used a compression gauge to wacth when the compression starts to climb on the gauge to help find Compression stroke then the screw driver trick to make sure it was on TDC.

Disable ignition and fuel pump first.

TDC for #1 is easy. Remove all the spark plugs. Have a friend bump the starter for you. Stick your thumb up against the spark plug hole (NOT DOWN IN IT). As #1 is coming up towards TDC you wil feel compression in that cylinder and it will blow your thumb away from the spark plug hole and make a loud huff sound. Look at the timing mark on the balancer and turn it with a ratchet to line that mark up with the timing pointer ( ZERO). (most likely the balancer mark will be just a little past it) Back it up to align the timing marks. This should only be a inch or less distance to back it up. That is #1 TDC.
*harmonic balancer turn clockwise so backing it up will Counterclockwise when aligning marks*
This applies to every cylinder but you can only use the timing mark for #1.

I just stick a screwdrived down in the hole (dont bump the starter) and you feel the next piston coming up in the firing order as you rotate the harmonic balancer with a ratcher. Find the highest spot that pushes up on the screwdriver and that is TDC for that cylinder.

Remember that you have to follow the firing order.

Once you find #1 TDC you can go ahead and rotate the distributor (if it was loosened and position disturbed) until #1 spark plug terminal on the cap is in line with it. Put #1 spark plug on there. The next spark plug in the firing order will be the next terminal going CLOCKWISE. (#8) and so on.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
For some reason he doesn't want to rotate the engine to find #1 TDC on compression stroke. I dunno why. He just wants to know when #8 is on the exhaust stroke where should the rotor be pointed. I'm not sure I know how to figure that out. Never had to, just bump the starter..........but he doesn't want to.

·
Registered
197 Posts
He shouldnt even be paying attention to the distributor at all.....until its time to set timing and then find #1 and align the rotor close to the #1 terminal on the cap.

Follow the repair manual and you wont go wrong. Dont make the adjustment more difficult than it really is.

Raid or Grumpy is gonna jump in here anytime and lay it all out for him!

·
Super Moderator
8,544 Posts
if your doing this correctly you CAN,T depend on the OEM damper TDC mark to ALWAYS BE exactly correct, or the timing tab to be exactly correct either, you can get a great deal of info off theses links

you start by verifying TDC and making sure the dampers correct, it helps a great deal to have an aftermarket damper with 360 degree markings, but thats not mandatory

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1015&p=1864&hilit=damper+tabs+tape#p1864

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=966&p=6800&hilit=dead+center#p6800

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=196

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=875

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54&p=67&hilit=dropping+distributor#p67

1 - 14 of 14 Posts