Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the pair of magnesium valve covers off my engine so that I can clean them up. The driver's side cover had the oil filler cap towards the rear and the PCV valve in the front. The passenger side has the breather hole blanked up! What was the standard breather for an 82, or did it go into the air filter? Can the baffles inside the rocker covers be removed?

Which is the correct orientation to put them back on? Does it really matter so long as the "drippers" are at the highest point?

One last question :thud: does anyone know the brand of spark plug lead brackets that are part of the rocker cover hold down tab?

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Is the original black finish paint or powder coat? It sure is a bastard to remove!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here's a pic of my '81 before I bought it.
Don't think it'll be that much different from the '82 (except for F.I.)
My filler cap is on the driver side rear.

I spoke with my machine shop buddy about blasting the valve
covers and he suggested soaking them in carb cleaner for a few days.
Saids it is how they get powder coating off of some parts.
Just haven't had a chance to try it. ( will probably just let him take them to work with him and do it. :D )

·
Registered
738 Posts
Man, that looks worse than mine did
The mag valve covers are powdercoated and yes its a PITA to get off. It took me 2 days of chemical stripper and bead blasting and wire brushing to get them clean. I then painted them with black crinkle paint, hand painted the fin tops and clear coated them

Then

Now

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
My 81 has these covers. It took 2 coats of stripper and bead blasting to remove the paint. I don't know whether powder coat tech was standard then. Seems kinda expensive for a production car. I think it's just bad ass paint.
Masked mine off and painted Krinkle black.
I would NOT remove the baffles. Keeps the pcv from sucking mist. Driver's side has the filler. Pass side breather was piped to air cleaner.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll say one thing for the magnesium though, it's tough stuff. I've been at one cover with paint stripper and a scraper. An aluminium cover would have had gouges and deep scores all over it by now but this thing is ok. Well, it looks like something the cat sicked up but it WILL look ok!

I only want to remove the baffles so that I can make sure that I get all the **** out of there before I refit them - all the lumps of stripper and paint. I was just wondering if they pop out or not.

I'll have to go looking down town for a little after market breather. I have an Edelbrock air filter and I don't think it has provision for a tube from a breather.

Thanks for the input guys...

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Hey 6', can you close your HOOD yet???:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :cheers: :devil:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I only want to remove the baffles so that I can make sure that I get all the **** out of there before I refit them - all the lumps of stripper and paint. I was just wondering if they pop out or not.
Just wash/soak them in water/solvent. Blow em out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey 6', can you close your HOOD yet???:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :cheers: :devil:
LOL, Not yet, workin on a deal for some C brackets

·
Registered
738 Posts
K

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've nearly got the first valve cover cleaned up. Once they're both finished, I'd like to run a matching pair of after market breather and PCV but I've only found ones that are to suit valve covers with either a 1" or 1 1/4" hole. The holes in the standard valve covers are 7/8".

Before I enlarge the holes to suit, does anyone know of a breather/PCV that suits a 7/8" hole?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts