Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the covers on wifey's 95 a bright yellow to match the outside. I plan on sanding them down to a nice smooth finish first. There's lots of paints out there, but which brand and type can handle the heat on the plastic?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patrick96LT4 said:
The valve covers or the fuel-rail covers?
I guess they're called the fuel rail covers? The plastic snap on gizmo's.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
AlwaysWave said:
I guess they're called the fuel rail covers? The plastic snap on gizmo's.
Ah. That I'm not sure about. I could only guess..... but I'd sand them down baby smooth, then take them to a painter and have him shoot them. But....

Maybe someone can guide us with the proper procedure for prep of the plastic, the right primer, the right paint.

I'll see if I can find some info.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
sand them down,clean (many times)with mineral spirts,use primer and paint for plastic.i didn't even do that,i just cleaned my plastic stuff with mineral spirits,and used the left over brake caliper paint i had,then i clear coated.this was a little over a year ago.

:smokin:

·
Registered
49 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
Have them powder coated or they will eventually bubble/crack from the heat!:surprised
this is a great suggestion if it for metal parts, but if it for the plastic parts that you are speaking of it will not work. powder coat requires an electrical charge which you won't get with plastic. Sand them down smooth starting with about 1000 grit and moving on down to an almost thinner than paper sanding pad(you can find them at a hobby shop for like model cars and stuff I think that they are 5000 grit or something) after that clean them with a cfc contact cleaner to get off all the oill and sanding dust. Shoot them with a good qquality paint and a top cote of clear and they should be good for quite a while.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
AlwaysWave said:
I want to paint the covers on wifey's 95 a bright yellow to match the outside. I plan on sanding them down to a nice smooth finish first. There's lots of paints out there, but which brand and type can handle the heat on the plastic?
I painted my plastic rail covers last spring and they look great! I picked up a matching Ruby Red right off the shelf. No signs of peeling or cracking.

Just clean them really well with a paint thinner and let dry. Then spray an automotive enamel in very light coats. Let dry between coats. It will probably take three or four coats.

There is no need to sand the covers smooth or to prime them. Use enamel, not lacquer paint.

Also, I advise against a clear coat. It doesn't need it and it probably wont take the heat and eventually peel or crack.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Re: Re: Valve covers paint

Mike said:
Also, I advise against a clear coat. It doesn't need it and it probably wont take the heat and eventually peel or crack.

Good luck!:thumbsup:
i used VHT brand,high heat (for motors)clear coat,it gave the plastic a nice depth and shine,i use zaino on them also,no scratchs,peeling,fading etc...looks just like the day i did it actually.that pictures does not do my motor justice,it was taken inside the power plant were i work,under ultra-violet lights.
i used the clear on the brake calipers too,1 year,and they look like i did them yesterday.:thumbsup: :smokin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts