Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few threads related to this and I'm still a bit confused. So I went ahead with taking mine out to do a "refresh". Here's what I saw:

After removal, just the one hose from the fuel tank:

The plastic vapor canister:

The top of the vapor canister where the 3 connections are:

removed the filter from the bottom:

The connections on the carb:

I saw one thread where the guy had replaced charcoal inside with fish pet supply grade charcoal. To me, the vapor canister seems sealed as in there is no way to open it. Is that true? To replace the inside do I have to cut off the top or bottom to fill it, and if so, how do I go about "gluing" it back together?

As for the connections, right now it's not connected to the carb or PCV like it should be. Is this pretty common? I've looked at my AIM and on page L218 it shows how the connection should be. You can see my connections on my carb above, that's pretty much how I found it when I bought it. I have no idea if I'll have gasoline smell as I have yet to drive the car, much less start it more than twice since I've had it.

FYI - don't assume anything is correct with my car, Bubba had his grubby mits all over. The carb could be original, or from a different year all together. If tubes are missing, that would be Bubba.

Oh yeah, my car is a SB 350ci/270hp that came with manual tranny (is now a TH400 auto).

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Do you have an AIM for your car yet?

It's a fantastic tool to keep around in your garage for looking up this stuff. t would have a clear diagram of where the vacuum line from the vapor canister connects to the carb.

I'm sure one of the canister nipples is a vent and then the one that connects to the line from the tank.

I really don't know about cutting one open and resealing it with fresh charcoal, but personally a new reproduction might be easier.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...I've looked at my AIM and on page L218 it shows how the connection should be.
D_B, yes I have the AIM but I couldn't yet find an image that shows in great detail how the connections should go on the carb with the CEC solenoid. I've got several vette supply magazines and some show a single PCV connection and some show the T connection. I've only found 2 of those magazines that sell the T but they don't look right. Dr Rebuild looks like it has exactly what I need hower.

As for a repro on the can, it's not available that I could find. However I did reserve 2 at NAPA that look extremely similar to mine, will be picking up tomorrow hopefully.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts