Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Welcome to DC Big Shady. I personally have not pulled the trigger on a CAI but have read good things about the vararam. It’s number two on the five best aftermarket intakes article I read. It’s a true cold air intake and a ram air combination so the faster the car goes you get a small amount of forced induction. That’s about all the research I’ve done. Sorry I could not be more help. Maybe someone who has one on their car will chime in with their findings.

·
Premium Member
4,814 Posts
Hello. I have spent years with vararam on my DD C5. The only downside I ever noticed with this functional ram air intake setup is running it on wet roads. It puts the air intakes down by the fog lights. So if you drive it into a deep puddle you can hydrolock the motor. Ram air on a C5 Corvette means being careful when and where you drive it because it doesn't take a deep puddle to hydrolock your motor. One day I was driving and the rain just got heavier and heavier and I turned to get off the road and turned into a puddle and this happened because of my Vararam..

And you also will have to be careful how close you follow behind other people in the rain as their tires kick up a rooster tail that can see a lot of water put into your engine's intake.

On the upside it adds power. More power the faster you go. For the C5 the Vararam has 2 intakes. One on each side that feed into the airbox. This setup is like a trumpet or a velocity stack and at speeds this does a very good job at getting extra air into your engine. It goes good with a full exhaust. On my C5 I ran ARH longtubes with high flow cats and midpipe with X and the borla type S axle back system.

I strongly recommend you consider the longtube headers with high flow cats or a stage 2 or better cam with cat delete to go along with that Vararam just to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello. I have spent years with vararam on my DD C5. The only downside I ever noticed with this functional ram air intake setup is running it on wet roads. It puts the air intakes down by the fog lights. So if you drive it into a deep puddle you can hydrolock the motor. Ram air on a C5 Corvette means being careful when and where you drive it because it doesn't take a deep puddle to hydrolock your motor. One day I was driving and the rain just got heavier and heavier and I turned to get off the road and turned into a puddle and this happened because of my Vararam..

And you also will have to be careful how close you follow behind other people in the rain as their tires kick up a rooster tail that can see a lot of water put into your engine's intake.

On the upside it adds power. More power the faster you go. For the C5 the Vararam has 2 intakes. One on each side that feed into the airbox. This setup is like a trumpet or a velocity stack and at speeds this does a very good job at getting extra air into your engine. It goes good with a full exhaust. On my C5 I ran ARH longtubes with high flow cats and midpipe with X and the borla type S axle back system.

I strongly recommend you consider the longtube headers with high flow cats or a stage 2 or better cam with cat delete to go along with that Vararam just to get the most out of it.
well said. I considered the product, but since I mostly drive from stoplight to stoplight, I figured the very remote possibility of water intrusion wasn't worth it, since I wouldn't know how much water was too much, and the stock design fits my needs so well, I'd rather not bolt on an additional cause for worry if I am in the unfamiliar position of ever driving in the rain again. I have a 50 state smog legal car with an axle back exhaust from flowmaster that is a little loud, but works well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts