Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about putting the vararam snakecharmer on my '08 (Tbyrne price is too good to pass up)...anyone done this yet?...I know this is what LG used to dyno their car so I'm pretty confident in it...problem is, I'm not sure how difficult it will be to put it on. Plan to buy an extra shroud from chevy and cut it so I don't destroy the original one...any thoughts?

A

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ordered the snake charmer yesterday...now I just need the shroud and some AR or LG headers and cats and I'll have a sweet winter project to work on and it will be ready for a tune in the spring...

A

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Get a moderator in here, now-a link to CF!:lookinup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is that really against the rules? While there is a bunch of crap over there, there is also a bunch of good info that never makes it's way over here.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info...I'll probably have to bend up a mounting bracket or something or by the time I am ready to install it this winter there will hopefully be an aftermarket program producing mounting hardware...I can't see guys with '08 Z51s not be able to mount CAI without making a stink

A

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After doing some more reading, I am not so sure this will be a problem with the Snakecharmer. The one that fits the '08 also fits the ZO6 and the ZO6 has the separate oil cooler as well...the one I bought is specific to the '08/ZO6

I would think tha tif this was a problem, there would be more talk of it...the link that was posted was for a vette air...maybe it is of a different design...I don't know.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81376

If Tbyrne says it fits, hopefully it does.

A

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 with Z51 and my vararam shipped today. I'll install it next weekend and can let you know if it fit. I don't think I'll get it until after the long holiday unfortunately.

Either way, it sounds like there will be a fairly easy way to make it work. I'm more concerned with the vararam quality than I am with the oil cooler issue.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the VarRam but I have three concerns with it. Quality has been an issue. The filter area is awfully small compared to the Callaway Honker or Xcelerator and I don't like the idea of having to clean bugs out all the time. I do quite alot of highway driving.

Xcelerator has 100.03 sq. in. of flow area as compared to only 66.7 on the VarRam. VarRam is on the left. The Xcelerator is the other.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, I had the same concerns about quality with the Vararam, but what I've read indicates that the snakecharmer has improved build quality. I am not too concerned about the overall surface area of the filter...LG used it when they dyno'd their '08 and I think that is a pretty good testament as they could have used any CIA on the market but they chose this one... I also plan on going with their parts in the future and I doubt the Snakecharmer will be the limiting factor...I think "streetability" will be the limiting factor for me

A

·
Registered
146 Posts
The stock CAI on the 08's are a great intake, it's that huge filter that's restrictive. I called K&N and spoke to them about making a replacement filter for the 08's. They didn't realize that all 8's use the same CAI as the 06-08 Z06. Now they are taking this into consideration.

So, I urge anyone who wants a better performing stock CAI that will make the engine come alive, to contact K&N and voice your concern. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah, I had the same concerns about quality with the Vararam, but what I've read indicates that the snakecharmer has improved build quality. I am not too concerned about the overall surface area of the filter...LG used it when they dyno'd their '08 and I think that is a pretty good testament as they could have used any CIA on the market but they chose this one... I also plan on going with their parts in the future and I doubt the Snakecharmer will be the limiting factor...I think "streetability" will be the limiting factor for me

A
I saw where LG used the K&N on the new 08 but did they use the VarRam too? Got a link?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The stock CAI on the 08's are a great intake, it's that huge filter that's restrictive. I called K&N and spoke to them about making a replacement filter for the 08's. They didn't realize that all 8's use the same CAI as the 06-08 Z06. Now they are taking this into consideration.

So, I urge anyone who wants a better performing stock CAI that will make the engine come alive, to contact K&N and voice your concern. :thumbsup:
A free flowing filter that fits the factory housing would be good and I'm sure it would help, however, it would still draw in under hood warm air. I've seen my IAT up to 140* in traffic.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it was in the Sept Corvette Enthusiast that the ran a story about a '08 build up using LG parts and dyno results. I'm pretty sure they used a snake charmer for that build up.

A

·
Registered
277 Posts
That would be good for helping to keep those IATs down but still the factory intake would be a restriction. The K&N or Halltech along with the Vette Air would produce more flow but then you have that sucking noise that isn't a good noise. The VaraRam doesn't have enough flow area to get the job done I'm afraid with larger hp numbers. It has an awful small filter as compared to the Halloway or Xcelerator. I think the Xcelerator might be the best choice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unless the programing in the VCM has materially changed from the 07 a CAI should give a noticable improvement in performance. Regardless of the size of the filter, cooler dense air will keep the IAT temperature down. The 05 - 07
LS2's pulled timing once the IAT reached 86 degrees.

I have a honker on my 05 and my son has a VR on his 07. The quality of the VR has improved but I have not seen a material difference in performance between our two Corvettes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts