Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this kit? What are the little triangle brackets with the bolt holes for? I am having a hard time picturing this thing, Anyone have pics of installation?

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
I can't speak from any experience here, but this is my understanding...

the purpose of the kit is to lower the outer tie rod end location. The triangle brackets bolt into the steering knuckle through the original tie rod tapered holes. The third hole in the bracket is the new tie rod taper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here's one installed. A word of caution, they are ment for lowered cars, and I don't think they will work correctly at stock height.

Here's the original bumpsteer in my car's suspension, a curve from Greenwood's VIP article, and a curve after installation of the blocks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
So what is the definition of "lowered"? I have 550# springs which give a fender lip height of 27" or so. It is about an inch lower than the 460# springs had it, but about the same as the old soft stock springs which may or may not have been sagged. If--this is a big 'if;--I remember correctly, the fender lip height called out in the Assembly Manual was 27 3/4", which makes mine about 3/4" lowered as it sits now. Does that count as "lowered"?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The fender height I believe was at 26 1/2" when I did that chart, so your close. :thumbsup: If I recall correctly, I think VBP's blocks were designed for a 1" lowered vette.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Some of the sales literature says it is good for people running wide front tires.

Even with the HD front springs, the BB did a good job of lowering the front end on my car.

Good chart Jason:thumbsup:

·
Registered
421 Posts
IMHO I'd compare your Z and D heights with those suggested in the Chevy Power book's C3 Corvette chassis section and those in the AIM for your model to see exactly where you are, as body trim heights aren't the most reliable of references for precision suspension work. Here's a link to the Book, if you need one...

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ChevyPower.pdf

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
IMHO I'd compare your Z and D heights with those suggested in the Chevy Power book's C3 Corvette chassis section and those in the AIM for your model to see exactly where you are, as body trim heights aren't the most reliable of references for precision suspension work. Here's a link to the Book, if you need one...

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ChevyPower.pdf

Yup, my frame is lower by 1.5 inches in front, and stock height in rear....

yet many folks think the car sits high...i'ts the way the fender flares were cut/installed when it was a show car some decades ago....not my doing...so they measure stockish heights...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts