Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 69 steering box is not vented, and I'm thinking, that since it is so close to my headers, and gets very hot, that there must be a pressure build up inside, that is contributing to my lube leak. Are any boxes vented? I'm thinking of drilling a small hole through one of the cover bolts. Or is there any other way to vent it?
Any comments or thought?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
None of the vette boxes from 63-82 were vented and yes overfilling will cause a leak, depending on the grease used as well.
I leave room for expansion of the grease and use Mobil 1 in all my rebuilds. The only leak I've had was a small weep from the adjusting nut in a car with extreme temperatures. The oil will separate from the grease a little with all greases, the Mobil grease seems to have a little more oil in it as well. Basically a rebuilt box with settle and if there is a small weep it will stop over time. Now if the box is old and the seals are bad then you might have other issues. One thing is for sure,a stock built or rebuilt box is not as tight as a blueprinted box. I'm talking about the handling aspect, not the grease sealing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts