Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the car out and drove it to work yesterday. Been unseasonably cold here but at least it was sunny. So I'm driving home and I'm stopped in traffic, usually light traffic on the roads I travel, and I notice the car in front of me starting to roll forward. There was about a good car length between the two cars and I even commented to myself about the moron that stopped that far from the car in front. So we had to be on a little downslope cause the car starts to roll faster and I'm wondering when this person is gonna hit the brakes. Nadda. Rolls right into the car in front. Bamm! So out gets this kid. Teenaged girl, I'm guess'n around 17ish. She was driving some little piece of crap and hits a minivan. When she gets out, I right away notice she's got a cellphone in her hand. Here's what she says to the guy she hit. "Oh my Gawd. I can't believe I did that. I was try'n to finish my text before the light changed and I forgot to press the brake. Your not gonna like call the cops or noth'n right? I mean like I didn't really hit very hard, right? As I went around them I could see a look of total disgust on the guys face. He looked like he really didn't want to deal with any of it. I don't know what happened cause I was outta there but I couldn't stop thinking about if it had been me in the Vette she hit. I don't know if I would have been able to restrain myself from being very ugly. I truly believe that this texting crap, especially with teenagers driving cars is gonna kill some of them and others.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kids these days....If parents would step up to the plate and teach them something about driving and distractions...

Cell phone usage while driving should be completely banned :thumbsup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
It is scary.Auto makers should have cell phone deactivation technology while under power.Sounds drastic I know but all you would have to do is pull over and put the vehicle in park.You would then be able to chat about how good your boy/girlfriend kisses.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have been in physical therapy for 2 months because someone was playing with their phone and used our car as the only brake from about 45mph or so. We were stopped at a red light. Whammo.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But in alota cases the parents are just as bad. I can't say that I havn't used a cellphone in the car. My wife also. We do use the bluetooth ear thingy. At least your eyes are on the road and your paying about the same attention as you would be if you were talking to a passenger next to you. It's that fricking looking at the little tiny keys trying to peck out some words. There's no way in hell you can do that and drive at the same time. Actually, I kinda don't get the whole texting thing. I know, I'm not a teenager but even the adults are all over it. Why? Hey, if your somewhere that you wanna talk and you can't be heard then maybe you shouldn't be on the phone at all. I know this much. If someone plows into me and I can prove they were texting, which I'm guessing can be done fairly simply by just getting the phone records, I'll make sure they really wish they hadn't been.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The parents are as bad (if not worse) in some cases. I say start punishing the parents.

How about holding those accountable acountable. I hate that hold the parents accountable for everything BS. Sometimes it is them but why teach the kids of these paticular "parents" that someone else will be held accountable for thier actions. Seems to perpetuate the problem IMO...

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would have stoped got out and dialed 911 to report an acident caused by some one texting while driving.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree. It's the user not the age. 3 days ago, driver, grown man pulls out in front of me while looking right at me in a work truck. Totally illigal in De:crazy:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I would have stoped got out and dialed 911 to report an acident caused by some one texting while driving.
:agree: My oldest son is a contractor. Last week he pulled out of a job to go and check another job. His cell rang,
he picked it up without thinking and there was a cop right behind him.. $145.00 ticket, first offence.

Women and teenage girls are the worst. NJ is really tough
on cell phone users, but the tickets don't seem to impress them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I see this crap all the time. I spend most of my life behind the wheel of a 70,000 lb. Concrete mixer and run into these ingnorant people all day. I can honestly say I have near misses 8-10 times in a day. That is way too much and it is all because of cell phones. They can't stay in their lane,they slow from 65 to 45 in the drop of a hat and cut you off when passing. Something has to happen to get these people to get the hell off the phone for everyones good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see this crap all the time. I spend most of my life behind the wheel of a 70,000 lb. Concrete mixer and run into these ingnorant people all day. I can honestly say I have near misses 8-10 times in a day. That is way too much and it is all because of cell phones. They can't stay in their lane,they slow from 65 to 45 in the drop of a hat and cut you off when passing. Something has to happen to get these people to get the hell off the phone for everyones good.
Really, who do these people think will win between a 70,000 lbs truck, that the bumber is even with there windshield and there very well built 3129 lb car? My bucket was only about 30,000 lbs, but I thanked a higher power many times that they made it. Stay safe, retiered 4yrs now:buhbye:

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
I totally agree. No phone use at all while the car is moving. 9 times out of ten if the driver is under the speed limit, it's because of being on the phone.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If a person can't handle driving and talking on their cell phone, they don't have the necessary brain cells to be driving at all.

If you want to ban talking on your phone while driving, why not ban talking to your passenger, too.

Texting, that's different. I've never been a fan of texting. Guess I'm old school, and my fingers are just too damn big to be efficient at typing on those little keys.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
:agree:...............and taken a picture of the scene, sent it to email.....and off to the local PD with a "have a nice day message".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts