Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being Monday, I thought I would add a little much-needed excitement into my week and decided to drive my verte to work today into Tampa. I'm about 1 mile from my Kennedy Ave. west exit near the airport, when the commute traffic backs up to a stop. I'm in the far right lane waiting to exit when I notice some guy in an older-model Volvo is coming up pretty fast behind me. Suddenly he locks up his brakes, smokes pooring from his tires and I'm thinking "drive the shoulder!!!". Since I was at a dead stop with little room in front of me, I was thinking about pulling out quickly to the side when he decided to do the same thing. He eventually stopped about 3 car lengths in front of me off to the right shoulder in the grass. The only casualty, about 30feet of ruined sod. Man! :WTF :crazy:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I wasn't in my vette but I had the same scenario happen to me. Glad you and the car are OK.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Being Monday, I thought I would add a little much-needed excitement into my week and decided to drive my verte to work today into Tampa. I'm about 1 mile from my Kennedy Ave. west exit near the airport, when the commute traffic backs up to a stop. I'm in the far right lane waiting to exit when I notice some guy in an older-model Volvo is coming up pretty fast behind me. Suddenly he locks up his brakes, smokes pooring from his tires and I'm thinking "drive the shoulder!!!". Since I was at a dead stop with little room in front of me, I was thinking about pulling out quickly to the side when he decided to do the same thing. He eventually stopped about 3 car lengths in front of me off to the right shoulder in the grass. The only casualty, about 30feet of ruined sod. Man! :WTF :crazy:
That sure is a helpless feeling when you see them coming up on you like that!!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
What a way to start the week:surprised
Glad the guy was thinking:lookinup:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Glad that story had a happy ending! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad that story had a happy ending! :thumbsup:

Me too! Believe me when I say it was an eye opener that no Starbucks coffee could match! :laughing:

I'm laughing now, but wow! What a helpless feeling! The verte would not have provided much of an impact zone, not that my daily driver sedan would have offered more, but at least a back seat.....

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
My wife and I had a similar close call a couple of months ago. I managed to pull to the shoulder (and up a few car lengths), and the semi stopped right where I'd been!

Thank the Vette angels that you made it through that one!

Steven

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
:thud:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
That'll get the old heart pumping.:laughing: Glad he missed you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Glad all came out okay. It's a bad feeling sitting there watching them coming and not a darn thing you can do. I had this happen to me a few years ago in a Camaro except the car behind me slide a bit to the left and hit me, the car behind them slide to rigth, side swiped the car that hit me, then they hit me too, then the car behind them hit both of them in the rear! The officer at the scene said for each of us to turn it in to our own insurance! I was like, WTF, I was stopped, 3 cars hit me, and you want me to turn it in on my insurance. That took a while to clear up.

Watch the others around you!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts