Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
leaving work i pulled out and another car changed lanes right behind me. i had to mash the gas to keep from getting hit. turned onto the on ramp of the hiway and the car went dead. got it re-fired but it would'nt idle. i had to pop it in neutral and keep the rpm's around 1500 just to keep it running. going down the hiway i was going 70+ but it felt like it was breaking down, like a serious missfire. finally got it home after some serious coaxing. i put it in park and opened the garage door it stayed running at about 400 rpm seriously stumbling though. tried reving it a little and put it in gear and it stalled. got it re-fired and into the garage. it will run but you have to pump the gas just right, it will not idle and it stinks bad. my code scanner shows a code 21 and a code 44 O2 sensor and TPS sensor. has this ever happened to anyone and what can i do? P.S. the car was running perfect before this. :WTF

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well first thing I would is disconnect the neg cable on the battery or pull the ECM fuse on the fuel panel. Try and restart the engine and see what happens. You already know that you have 2 codes. If the engine will not run long enough for the SES light to come back on then follow the links below. You can check the TPS voltage to see where you are at. The O2 sensor code should not cause it not to run cold or warm.

Thank AGENT 86 for these if you would.
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code 21.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code 44.pdf

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so in other words it doesnt appear that i blew it up, possibly the TPS crapped out on me. it does appear to be drowning itself.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I doubt you blew it up. Have you checked the oil, coolant, cylinder compression? Just follow the links above to fix the codes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil is fine, coolant is fine. havent got into compression but would imagine that is still fine also as it was ok until after i let off it last night. i'll check the TPS out tonight. if its gone a new one is only 30.00 at autozone. what would make it do this if it is the TPS?

·
Registered
257 Posts
oil is fine, coolant is fine. havent got into compression but would imagine that is still fine also as it was ok until after i let off it last night. i'll check the TPS out tonight. if its gone a new one is only 30.00 at autozone. what would make it do this if it is the TPS?
The TPS is an important sensor for fuel delievery management. It is one of the sensors the ECM uses to control the AFR and drivability. You can test it with a voltmeter fairly easily. There are three wires going to it. I believe the colors are blue, black, and gray. The black is the ground and is also used as a ground on the CTS sensor. You will want to test the blue and black wires. Closed throttle, the voltage reading should be .54v. As you open the throttle the voltage should increase without stumble and at WOT the voltage should be greater than 4v. Read/study the links above and follow the troubleshooting tree to see what is causing the codes. Did you try disconnecting the battery first?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no not yet, thats the first thing im doing when i get home. then check the TPS voltage and make sure that its where i left it last summer. if all that is fine where to next? if it isnt ok i will re-set the voltage, or replace the TPS what ever the investigation leads to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, got home pulled the ECM fuse, and put it back in, started it and it stalled. tried it again, still the same. checked the TPS voltage .42, raised it to .54, re-connected it and it did the same thing. :WTF

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pull the codes again. If the same codes appear, start using the links posted to troubleshoot. Will it run if you hold the accelerator pedel down?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not very well, you kind of have to pump it. it fires up ok but dies in about 3 - 5 seconds

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cant keep it running long enough to get the check engine light back on, but the codes are still there. link says to run it for 1 minute at idle. it just wont do it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
manual says unplug the MAF sensor see if it runs..... well it does, recomends replacing it. can it be cleaned or anything? or is it toast? :surprised

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might want to see what kind of fuel pressure you have. I had problem that resulted in the car running kind of they way you describe. It turned out to be a failing fuel pump.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might want to see what kind of fuel pressure you have. I had problem that resulted in the car running kind of they way you describe. It turned out to be a failing fuel pump.
even once the MAF sensor was removed? took mine off and it runs and idles better than ever.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Got the pm. Looks like you need a new, used, or remanufactured MAF sensor. These sensors also came on the Fbody cars of around the same years. You might be able to find one at a salvage yard.

First, I would clean the MAF with electrical cleaner (autozone carrys it) and clean and inspect the connections at the MAF sensor. The sensor may be fine and the problem is with the wiring/connection. Also go ahead and replace the burnoff and power relays for the MAF and check their connections. They are located above and behind the battery.

Here is some info on the MAF sensor and it's related wiring. Thanks to AGENT 86 again.

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code 33.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code 36.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code 34.pdf

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
about $170.00 for a new sensor. i'll clean mine tonight and look into the burnoff and stuff

·
Registered
257 Posts
you could convert to speed dinsity, then you dont have to worry about it again.:thumbsup:
Not worth it in my opinion. You would have to add a MAP sensor, different knock sensor, and change the ECM and wiring. :thud:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, i got the cleaner and cleaned it real good and let it dry out. the funeral is tomorrow around 4:00: down: its dead. i called the local junk yards they can get me a used one for $125.00 i think im going to just get a new one with a warrenty and be done with it. :nuts:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts