Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my bug I said I would post. Still lots of work to do, but it's getting there. Should have a little over 410 hp (355 ci sbc).

I'm just about finished with the body work. I'd say 90%. Since last post I've finish widening the fenders, shaved the bumper holes, and shaved the moon vents around back. Now it's time to rebuild the chassis, build the motor / trans, get the drive train in, and build the firewall and floor.

Here's a rendering I did of what I'd like my bug to look like. Or might just go one color blue metallic. Too much time to think about it until I get paint, too much to do.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't wait to stop by to see it in person. The Dr. still has not released me to drive just yet after the foot surgery.

Do you have an idea of when you might be able to get the bug on the road?
Well, I hope your foot heals soon and you could stop by and see the bug. It'll probably be at the end of this year before I get it on the road because finding time to work on the bug is hard sometimes, and money is tighter than usual cause I'm saving for a wedding. Other wise I'd have all the parts ready to go and would just need to get the work done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any updates for us?
My next plan is to remove the body, tear down the chassis, flip the frame over so I can clean up some of the overhead welds, then I'll begin cleaning it, painting and reassembling so I can get a move on rebuilding the trans and assembling the engine. I had planned to have a few friends out this past weekend to help with the body removal, but everyone had things to do and the weather was cold. This weekend we should have the body off and possibly some help taking everything apart.

I'll post some pictures once I make some progress. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally, some updates...

A few buddies came over this weekend and we took the body back off the frame. This time she's sitting on 4 blocks at each corner instead of two, LOL! ;D

At this point I'm welding up tack welds, would've completely welded some parts but they were too close to the headline, I added a couple fish plates to reinforce the shackles I welded in, and I'm welding up the top of the body mounts.

Next, I'll weld some caps onto the front of the frame, and weld in the "bolt-in" 6 point roll bar plates I bought. I'm doing this so I can remove the body (plates welded to frame, the cage will be inside the flooring once built and I'll be able to bolt it all up) later down the road if needed. Should make for installing the engine easier.

Then the frame is coming apart, I'll weld up the bottom of the frame (suck at overhead welding with the stick welder), small parts will be sandblasted, the frame will be power washed, and then I'll paint it and start rebuilding it with new bushings / ball joints.

Once all that's done I can do the fun part. Motor, tranny and install!

·
The Punisher
7,092 Posts
Love the pic's and updates......Keep 'em coming! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Great way to use an S10 frame. The junkyards seem to have lots of them, so they must be affordable. Is this a common conversion among the VW V8 crowd?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
It's the easist way to achive a good frame for a V-8 swap. Most of the VW crowd would frown upon that car, which makes me like it even more.:D I have an extra S-10 frame I'm keeping just for this purpose.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great way to use an S10 frame. The junkyards seem to have lots of them, so they must be affordable. Is this a common conversion among the VW V8 crowd?
Thanks! They are pretty affordable compared to buying an after market Mustang II front suspension, steel tubing, and a rear diff. In my case I bought my frame off a retired mechanic who parts out vehicles to make a little extra cash. I paid $150 for the complete frame and the guy even let me borrow his trailer and turned the drums / rotors for me. The junkyard was wanting $250-$400 for the same year frame and we're hesitant / slower about disassembling a complete truck (cost of man hours) just to sell the rolling chassis. If you know what I mean.

There are a couple other guys I know about, through forums, that have used a S-10 frame. One guy in fact is building a second V8 bug but is only using the front clip and built the rest of the frame using rect. tubing. Like you said, there's lots of them around and plenty of parts available. That and the stock width of the wheelbase is a perfect match to the VW beetle body.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's the easist way to achive a good frame for a V-8 swap. Most of the VW crowd would frown upon that car, which makes me like it even more.:D I have an extra S-10 frame I'm keeping just for this purpose.
Exactly. They're fairly easy to shorten or to modify for a 4 link / ladder bar setup to match the beetle wheelbase. It's a strong frame and lots of V8 conversion parts available.

The purists hate V8 bugs. I must say, I did cut up a pretty decent classic that is a one year only make. There's still plenty of bugs out there though. It's only like the second or third most made car in the history of automobiles (without a major change to the vehicle that is). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some work done today...

My 6 pt. roll bar bolt in conversion kit came in this past week. I mocked them up on the frame, took them to work, and then had them drilled for the bolts.

I then cleaned up the metal where the plates would be welded with a 40 grit disk.

Then welded in the plates.

Then I capped the front frame ends with some left over 1/8 metal I had laying around. I still need to go back and grind the welds smooth so it'll look nice once painted.

Next, after I grind the cap welds, I'm going to take the frame apart, sand blast the small parts at work, power wash the frame, adjust the rear ends location some so the shacks wont hit my fenders, and then it gets new paint (MasterSeries), and reassembled with the new bushings, balls joints, lowering spindles and blocks.

Then I can work on getting the engine together and rebuilding the tranny. Still lots to do til I get to that point. That's all until next weekend.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday I ordered the rest of the parts I need from Summit to put my 355 sbc together with the money I got back from my tax turn.

Fuel pump, high volume water pump, oil pump, gaskets, thermostat, comp cam timing chain, flex plate, aluminum crank pulley, harmonic balancer, etc.

Basically everything to finish off the engine. The only thing that will be used is the oil pump drive shaft, the fuel pump push rod, the block and internals (pistons, crank, rods). I'm going to freshen up the bottom end with some new bearings and piston rings. So a good clean up and a light hone is in line, soon.

Yesterday I also got a good deal on some used wheels for the V8 bug. They're C5 corvette wheels, 17"x 9.5" up front and 18"x 10.5" in the back. . The 88' vette wheels just didn't have the look I want for my car, but they're fine for mocking stuff up for now until I can buy new tires. Got them for $150 and they're in really great condition. Just the normal small scratches on the edge of rim lip

Also, on Tuesday I finished off the passenger side body mount that bolts to the heater channel. All it was needing was a piece of angle iron to reinforce it. Cut a 3" piece of angle iron, cleaned it with the 40 grit disk as well as the chassis, and welded it in. Strong and ready to go...

I can't wait to get the chassis finished so I can put the engine together!

1 - 20 of 412 Posts