Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from last night (3/29) at the BJ Palm Beach auction. The Corvette sold for $52,250 with sales commissions. It has only 800 miles, full documentation and as the case with most cars in its stored condition, has the obligatory "Never Seen Rain" statement. It's number 727 out of 3049 ZR1's produced in 1990.

I have the video of the auction on my Corvette Blog

Keith

·
"a title"
790 Posts
52K for a C4? I think I'd go with a C5z06 or a C6z06. Whole lot easier to get in/out of too

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
52K for a C4?
Just the tip of the iceburg.

Tons of people have C5's and C6's but very few can say they own a ZR1, especially one in such rare-condition and miles. Sure, we could all find something else to do with 52k but it's all about collecting in this case.

Though 52k is big bucks, it's probably a collector's bargain in terms of how ground-breaking the ZR1 was. Its effects still felt strongly with today's, hand-built engined C6 Z06.

Thanks for the post, that ZR1 looked great on the block!

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Zr1

The zr1 is a awesome car and most people dont even know what it is and they are Corvette buffs:crazy:
I think you will start to see alot more of them bringing big money.:thumbsup:
Ray

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
The zr1 is a awesome car and most people dont even know what it is and they are Corvette buffs:crazy:
Ray
:agree:
Once one sells on national TV for big bucks, expect the others hidden in garages to see light of day in the next year for even more. My neighbor has a GT350 undercovers until he sees one hit half a million, then he says he's gonna ship it to BJ to sell to finalize his retirement.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Maybe I need to ask more for my car, much nicer than the one on Bj.
Ray:surprised
It's only worth what someone will pay for it.....and at BJ, people will pay about anything for their few seconds of tv time and ego boost. Seriously, the ZR1s,GN GNX, Formula 350 Firehawks, and a few other 80s-90's cars about to explode. Priced a late 70's early 80's Sunbird/Turbo Sunbird lately? :surprised

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Ray
I agree. People buy ZR1's because they want a ZR1. It's a special car, more so that the C5 Z, and I own one!

Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Seems like an OK deal for the guy who bought it.

But whoever owned it for 17 years, never got to enjoy it except for 800 miles and didn't make anything on the sale. Weren't they selling around $50K MSRP when it was introduced? And thats if they didn't pay up to have one of the first ones around.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It's amazing what cars hardly aged can bring, take a '96 GS Vert. Talk about rarity. Again, there were only 245 40th Anniversary ZR1s.

Speaking of the Challenge Corvettes. Only 2 in yellow were produced.

All that, and they are Vettes that are less than 20 years old.

·
Registered
626 Posts
but again as stated abouve its only worht what someone is willing to pay for it Its all about you and what you want :thumbsup: just my opinon

·
DC Crew
13,185 Posts
Seems like an OK deal for the guy who bought it.

But whoever owned it for 17 years, never got to enjoy it except for 800 miles and didn't make anything on the sale. Weren't they selling around $50K MSRP when it was introduced? And thats if they didn't pay up to have one of the first ones around.

1990 Base Corvette coup $31,979.00

ZR1 Package $27,016.00
--------------

total for 1990 ZR1 $58,995.00

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Nice to see it command close to the original MSRP. That means it's holding its value. I know a guy who tried to sell three of his cars at Barret Jackson, true story. He took full pictures and documentation down and met with Craig Jackson himself. They were all musclecars, fully torn down and nut-and-bolt restored, chalk marks, matching numbers, the whole shot. Craig told him they were very nice, but they weren't interested in them at all. A few years ago they would be fine, but now they mainly want cars with history. A good story brings a good price.

·
"a title"
790 Posts
1990 Base Corvette coup $31,979.00

ZR1 Package $27,016.00
--------------

total for 1990 ZR1 $58,995.00
That is a retarded amount of money for 1990. I'm sorry but I think that car was overpriced for the day in age. The 2001 C5z06 was cheaper, had more power, better looks, better handling, more refinement and that was over 10 years later, with inflation and everything! To each their own, I suppose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:agree: I too think it was to much $$$.The C4's ZR1 or not have not yet began to start to rise.They will soon.The C3's and the C4's had a long prod. run and that's what holds them down.I like the later C4's when they redid the rear end.A co-worker had a real nice green vert with sattle interior,real nice car.It was that Vette that made me start the hunt for my Vette.I always told myself and anybody else that would listen that I was going to have a Vette before I die.

·
Registered
42 Posts
zr1

That is a retarded amount of money for 1990. I'm sorry but I think that car was overpriced for the day in age. The 2001 C5z06 was cheaper, had more power, better looks, better handling, more refinement and that was over 10 years later, with inflation and everything! To each their own, I suppose.
:rolling: :rolleyes:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I think the higher vette prices are starting to shift away from the 69' vette era and we are starting to see more higher priced older C3's and C4's come around now. As all C4's become older they will become more sought after, regardless of how much people might not like them now. Just my .2 cents

1 - 20 of 20 Posts