Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a link to a vintage style/looking race seat?? Similar to the ones used in the #48, #49 or #4 race cars of the early 70's??

I have a pair of really modern looking Recaro GT3 style seats in my car now, and after my winter projects they dont fit with my overall theme..so I want a vintage feel (I already called Kevin at Corvette Repair and they made their own when they restored the above cars..and they would be $1000 a piece to replicate ouch!!!)

As an fyi, if anyone is interested in a pair of GT3 style recaro's, black leather, memory foam, carbon fiber (real carbon fiber!!) and seat mounts for a 'vette...let me know.

Nick

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nick,
NOTHING Kevin Mackay restores (as far as a race car) gets raced let alone driven so buy a seat that A.fits well and B.you like, race seats of the 70`s were not exactly comfortable....except for Daytona, Sebring or LeMans most SCCA races were an hour or so...so comfort in a race car was not number one priority......I have a Butlerbuilt aluminum seat but if I had to do it all over again I would buy a Kirkey road race seat (not available when I restored my car). Race car seats are not a one size fits all...you need to try them on for size.
...redvetracr

·
Registered
550 Posts
here's what I did...

I made some standoffs to that the mounts through the glass floor from 4130 tubing pressed in a 3/8 weld nut and welded...

Positioned the seats in the car and though you cant see it very well and it's not 100% complete, built a frame under the standoffs that:

o Braces the transmission cross member
o Provides a mounting for my drive shaft loop
o provides a secure mounting for my seat belts and submarine belt

I also allowed for the adjustment of the angle of the seat...

Call Frank at Ultrashield he can prolly fix you up.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Nick,
NOTHING Kevin Mackay restores (as far as a race car) gets raced let alone driven so buy a seat that A.fits well and B.you like, race seats of the 70`s were not exactly comfortable....except for Daytona, Sebring or LeMans most SCCA races were an hour or so...so comfort in a race car was not number one priority......I have a Butlerbuilt aluminum seat but if I had to do it all over again I would buy a Kirkey road race seat (not available when I restored my car). Race car seats are not a one size fits all...you need to try them on for size.
...redvetracr
Good idea on copying the master :laughing:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
nice cheap seat :crazy: :surprised

nick, a buddy of mine ordered some old style racing seats, I think it was an English company, i'll have to ask him. They make very comfortable bucket seats that have that 70s look. That's the reason my bud ordered them, he didn't want a modern sparco or similar seat in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts