Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I used to use Adam's with a microfiber cloth and it worked fairly well for cleaning. Problem is the microfiber would cause micromarring on my paint.

So, I switched to a natural sea sponge. No more micromarring or scratching from my media, but it seems to leave dirt on the car.

I use a nozzle that mixes Adam's with water as it sprays a film of it over the car. I let it sit for 5 minutes then I make a fresh bucket of car wash mixture to use with the sponge.

Hard or really stuck on dirt has to be then later taken care of with instant detailer (which isn't always a good idea.)

It does fine for a weekly wash, but doesn't get the car quite clean enough for polishing.

Am I missing a step? I'm a little hesitant to move away from the sponge because it's the only thing I've found so far that leaves my paint looking nice.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I'm not quite following your routine but it sounds kinda jacked up. I have never had any issues with Adam's towels scratching my paint in any way and I have paint that will show it if I did. Look at these close ups:

That's paint, not glass.

As you can see by those extreme close ups, that's some flawless paint. Your wash process sounds very suspect, especially the sponge part/ I have never seen a sponge safe enough to not scratch paint.

Take a look at this video series and concentrate on my wash process. I have a new wash video coming out soon which will concentrate on the wash aspect so look for it too.

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a natural sea sponge. When it's wet it's the softest thing I've ever touched.

(Don't tell my wife I said that.) :lookinup:

I can tell by your posts that you have a demanding standard of quality so you would probably see the marring I'm talking about if your towels were doing it (Whereas I don't think most people would.)

I do use the microfiber towels on my subaru and toyota, they don't mark up that paint.

I'll check your videos out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thats glass Junk dont B.S us :laughing::laughing:

That some bad ass looking paint Junk! :surprised.....Shining and smooth ass a baby butt :thumbsup:

Adams products are awesome :thumbsup:

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my sponge:

I think I'll pick up one of those Adam's wash pads. The sponge is getting pretty limp after only a couple of months.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hello,

I used to use Adam's with a microfiber cloth and it worked fairly well for cleaning. Problem is the microfiber would cause micromarring on my paint.

So, I switched to a natural sea sponge. No more micromarring or scratching from my media, but it seems to leave dirt on the car.

I use a nozzle that mixes Adam's with water as it sprays a film of it over the car. I let it sit for 5 minutes then I make a fresh bucket of car wash mixture to use with the sponge.

Hard or really stuck on dirt has to be then later taken care of with instant detailer (which isn't always a good idea.)

It does fine for a weekly wash, but doesn't get the car quite clean enough for polishing.

Am I missing a step? I'm a little hesitant to move away from the sponge because it's the only thing I've found so far that leaves my paint looking nice.
natural sponges come out of the oceans and the oceans have sand and other debris that can scratch your paint

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The wash process itself can create the damage that you are talking about if done incorrectly. Also, the way you remove dust from your paint can also do the same thing. Check out my dust removal process after you have seen my washing instructions. The foam gun is pivotal.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Listen to the Junkman, he knows his stuff.;)

A.J. I had a dream last night I scratched my paint really really bad (I swear I did.) Luckily it looks O.K. this morning, man I hate dreams.:thud:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Listen to the Junkman, he knows his stuff.;)

A.J. I had a dream last night I scratched my paint really really bad (I swear I did.) Luckily it looks O.K. this morning, man I hate dreams.:thud:
:rolling:

I would have woke up with one of my cats in my hands and a shiny head board! :laughing:

Nice pic of you in your avatar! Very cute! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
:rolling:

I would have woke up with one of my cats in my hands and a shiny head board! :laughing:

Nice pic of you in your avatar! Very cute! :thumbsup:
:laughing:Yeah, I was extremely happy it was just a bad dream.:thumbsup:

Thanks about my pic.;) That was actually taken when I was a measly 19 year old. Ah...the good ole days.:laughing:

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
Not a fan of sponges myself, but I also notice you didn't mention a grit guard bucket insert, and it seems you might be using one of those sprayers that just mixes the soap and water and doesn't actually foam. If thats the case I'd recommend moving to a 2 bucket wash routine, both with grit guards.

Thats gonna be the best way to insure against the problems you're seeing.

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's right, I use a mixing nozzle. It gets pretty foamy, but really only from the action of the mixture hitting the paint.

I ordered buckets/mits from your site.

Interestingly, I found an old bottle of zaino car wash and used it. It didn't leave the dirt film.

Unfortunately I always find that the zaino car wash can't be used except in perfect shade or it leaves water spots. Adams has never left a water spot on my car.

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried the Adam's microfiber washing thingy and it worked really well both at picking up dirt and NOT damaging my clearcoat.

My car is COMPLETELY naked right now waiting for my z5 to show up in the mail so there's no sacrificial coating either.

Although I actually wish it absorbed a little less. I like to hit the grit guard about 8 times when washing the c5, but the microfiber washing thingy must soak up a gallon of soapy water each draw. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts