Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Fox News this morning and they are showing the Shuttle landing. It looks like we lost the Shuttle when it was over Texas. They have footage of it and it looks like it was coming apart on re-entry and they have lost contact for the last 30+ minutes.

God Bless our Astronauts!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was watching the news as usual and they were talking about the Shuttle landing this morning. When the time came, they switched to story and had live coverage of Mission Control. A few minutes later, they were reporting that they could not make contact with the shuttle and it was not on radar.

I just hope they didn't suffer.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
I heard something about some foam from the rocket booster hit the wing.... they didn't think it was a big deal, it would appear.

:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm truly deeply saddened by this tragic event. God Bless the astronauts and their families. I'm such a huge fan of the space program. I just hope they can find the cause quickly and make any corrections so this never happens again. I hope they get the rest of the shuttles up and flying again soon. Nasa and the space program is important for America and the world. It has got to continue.......

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Is it just me, or does this shuttle tragedy not impacted people as much as the first one?

So, is it that we are all conditioned to horrific events after 9/11 ...

or... is it because this is shuttle tragedy #2?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I can only answer for myself, anything can and does happen these days, nothing surprises me anymore. The astronauts knew the risk. It's no different than a stock car race except they represented the U.S., not a corporation sponsor.

Life is way too short without putting that risk factor into it.

Not to be callus but Oblahdee, Oblahdah, LIFE GOES ON.

My sympathies to their families an loved ones.

Live each day to it's fullest, let those you love know it. No more soap box here, I think we all know what I mean.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Is it just me, or does this shuttle tragedy not impacted people as much as the first one?

So, is it that we are all conditioned to horrific events after 9/11 ...

or... is it because this is shuttle tragedy #2?
First I wish to express my deepest sympathies to the families of the victims.

Partick, to answer your question:

When Challenge exploded it did it on camera before the entire world.

When the planes slammed into the WTC towers, again, they were on camera for all the world to bear witness.

In the latest shuttle disaster, there was a report that they had lost contact with the shuttle during the approach, then nothing!!!

While the end result of this tragedy is no less horiffic that Challenger or the WTC, it does not seem to be etched into our minds as the others were because in this case, as far as the average citizen is concerned, Columbia just kinda disappeared.

Only my opinion
I don't think we are getting "used" to this kind of tragedy, and I hope we never do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts