·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Not safe at all. Watch and learn.

Those blades are the work of the devil. You do not want to be rubbing them across your paint.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's why i asked. I will stick to the air dryer. Thanks junkman

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hand wash only and then than a high speed air blower and finish with a waffle weave drying towel. As they stated in the video, the blade can destroy the paint. Remember that there is a lot of dust in the air that will settle on the finish prior to completing the job and that is what the water blade will pick up.
I always rinse the shampoo off completely with the hose nozzle, than I remove the nozzle and simple flush the car with a slow stream of water. I find it sheet more leaving a lot less water beads. I also pull the car into the garage to dry it. I first use the air blower to remove the majority of the water plush I made sure I really get it out of the areas that hold the water (mirrors, gas filler, tail lights and so on). When I am ready to do the final dry with my waffle towel I will also spray a mist of detail spray on the area I am about to dry. That seems to help in the drying and is also give you a little lubricant to help pick up any dust that may have settled after the final rinse.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have been using them for over 7 years now. I will never go back to a towel or chamois. Why? Anything will pick up dirt that you missed. It is much easier to keep the blade dirt free, than a towel. After every swipe, I run my hand across the blade to wipe off any trash. After I go over the entire car, then I use a towel to finish up the nooks and crannies the blade cant get to.

YMMV:thumbsup:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have been using them for over 7 years now. I will never go back to a towel or chamois. Why? Anything will pick up dirt that you missed. It is much easier to keep the blade dirt free, than a towel. After every swipe, I run my hand across the blade to wipe off any trash. After I go over the entire car, then I use a towel to finish up the nooks and crannies the blade cant get to.

YMMV:thumbsup:
Running you hand across the blade after every swipe does not do any good if the dirt/dust was where you just swipe, the damage is done. I agree that anything that is used to dry your cars finish can grab any dirt and cause damage, so the main issue is to take every precaution possible not to damage the finish.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Running you hand across the blade after every swipe does not do any good if the dirt/dust was where you just swipe, the damage is done.
BINGO. Number one rule of thumb when it comes to a scratch free technique:

"The less you touch the paint, the better it is for the paint."

Anytime you touch the paint, you take a change doing damage. Thus, if you can avoid touching the paint by using a touch free method of drying (electric leaf blower as I do), you have eliminated another possibility of paint damage.

Carl, you need to check out some of my threads so that you will have an understanding of what I mean by perfect paint. I can guarantee you that if I inspected your paint the way that I inspect paint, the results would be shocking. I had a guy claim that his paint was flawless, although he too used practices such as yourself that inflicted damage into the paint. Here's what his paint looked like to the naked eye:

I could see the damage when I looked close enough but he was oblivious to what I was seeing. So I opened his eyes with this little shot:

Once I fixed his paint, this is what it looked like. His daughter was really impressed. :D

I would bet the farm that your paint looks similar or worse if you have been using a blade for over 7 years.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
holy **** me to tears! my paint looks just like the "before" picture....

i started using the waterblade over a decade ago beacuse of my absolute hatred for water spots....

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
A lot of people are still "plugged into the Matrix" when it comes to paint care. They don't see just how bad their paint looks until they are unplugged. Sometimes, they'll get a glimpse of it when the sun hits the car just right or the lights in a parking lot at night will show them the truth but for most, they can't see the forest for the trees.

Once you've been unplugged, it's hard to go to a car show and appreciate what you see. There's a lot of jacked up paint out there. :surprised

1 - 9 of 9 Posts