Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some serious rain in central Texas last week. The bad news is the garage that had my '85 Corvette in it flooded. The water got up to the middle of the rims for about 3 hours. There was water in the floor boards and tail pipes. However, no water in the engine or transmission. I've since dried it out and driven it. It seems to drive fine and everything works. My question: Is there anything I should do to this car before putting any significant mileage on it? Advice appreciated. Thx

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
check for any corrosion in any electrical connectors that may have been submerged and make sure they are dry

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Did you shop vac the carpet ?

You need to get as much of that water out of there as possible

Then I'd leave the doors open in the sunlight

If it was me I'd probably remove the carpet

And make sure everything was super dry underneath it

Real nice car you have

Sorry about the flood

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry,taken the seats & carpet out is not gona work to well,theres jute backing & rubber under them rugs,the jute aint gona dry since its sandwitched between the floor boards & the rubber,it will more than likely develop mold. I have bare floors in the 85,been about 10 years now.the rubber will have a date stamp on it,critical for NCRS judgement !

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Damn sorry to hear this man. After checking electrical and mechanical you have to get that carpet out of the car. It will never look or smell right again. I would take it down to the floorboard and replace it all.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
For get about the interior.... I would be muuuch more concerned about the integrity of the electrical connections and the mechanics... I would worry about water in the engine oil, trans, rear, and all the suspension and drive train components that have been submerged and compromised.

Thats just me though... I would have allllll fluids flushed and changed at the VERY least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts