Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a dyna spark unit for my lt-1 when i replace the omni unit, would it be a good time and a preformance move to change to a eletric water pump. What would be the best brand to go with?
New member , looking for lots of info and good times
jojo1:cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am going to a Mezeire Heavy Duty Electric unit on my heads cam LT4 after reading and researching quite alot about them.

First , on the Gen II engines like mine, the water pump is decent but not that outstanding . Failures with far under 100K are common. On TPI engines (L98) they are much better from what I understand but my knowledge is somewhat limited.

From a performance standpoint there are several advantages to the electric setup. First, they provide constant pressure at all rpm's and can even be wired to be on while the engine is not running to aid cooling while sitting , say , between drag runs or autoX runs. This means while idling in traffic your cooling system is at the same psi that it would be with the standard OEM unit while at speed .

Secondly, because the engine is not having to spin it you will have a gain in rear wheel horsepower. On LT1/4's this is typically 5-10 rwhp, not bad. They are also reasonably cheap compared to the stock units as well.

As for reliability , I have spoken to or read about many folks who have used them for many miles without any problems. The only failures I have seen seem to be from rare internal wiring or someone poorly wiring them up . Its a good idea to be sure you use a weatherpack style connector if they dont already come with one (think they all do these days) and possibly up the relay to 30 amps and also locate wiring so as NOT to easily get wet. Otherwise they seem to be very reliable .

Oh you can wire up an LED to come on when power is NOT getting to the unit so you wont overheat.

Hope that helps......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts