Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to make it clear the spots are not on the car. I have a 03 ford truck with water spots on the windows. I have tried everything to clean them off. Anyone have this problem and how to fix.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I tried white vinegar and they did not come off. I tried 50/50 and then put it straight on window. I have noticed the spots for about 2 years now. Any other ideas.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hello Longhorn03; I have or was fighting the same fight with my 94 coupe.

I found a product called glass scrub (pictured below). I purchased this stuff after using all other products and home remedies. Glass scrub works but it takes a lot of elbow grease to get it done. I finally used my Porter Cable 7424 and rubbing compound, no harm to the glass and all the water spots gone. If you don't have a PC 7424, I recommend the Glass Scrub, it is available at your local store. :thumbsup:

http://www.unelko.com/store/product.php?productid=16135&cat=249&page=1

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Double ought (00) steel wool works for me..

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
Recently did a writeup on this for another forum, most of the methods have already been suggested, but FWIW:

Stubborn Water Spots on Glass?

No matter how hard we try, sometimes you simply can't avoid those random water spots on your glass. These can be some of the most annoying spots to deal with as in some cases they won't come off no matter what you try. Heres some simple remedies to get your glass from spotty to clear. There are many approaches to tackle this common problem, here we've outlined some solutions that will remove light water spots and methods for even removing the most stubborn and harsh spots.

• Start simple... use a professional level glass cleaner. Adam's Glass Cleaner actually contains a micro-fine polishing agent instead of the normal chemical agents found in other cleaners. This mechanical approach to cleaning will generally be more effective on light water spots.
  • Try a mixture of white vinegar and water. Dilute a bottle 50/50 with normal white vinegar (available and any grocery store) spray on the spotty area and wipe away with a clean microfiber glass towel. For very stubborn spots the process may need to be repeated.
  • Clay bar! This handy detailers tool is good for removing spots and contamination from paint, but it works on glass too. Water spots are, afterall just embedded minerals left when the water drop dried. Many times clay will be more than effective enough at removing spots.
  • Polish away the spots. For very stubborn spots an polishing compound may be necessary. The good part is that no paint polishes sold on the market are abrasive enough to damage the glass, but they are aggressive enough to remove minerals from the paints surface. If all else has failed, give polish a shot.
  • Method of last resort - 0000# Steel wool. This is a very aggressive approach, but worth a shot when water spots don't respond to other methods. Use a Detail Spray or Glass Cleaner for lubrication and take the fine grade steel wool to the glass, use caution near paint and trim, perhaps even taping edges to avoid accidental damage.

When you finally get those stubborn spots off be sure to apply a high quality glass protection like Adam's Concentrated Glass Sealant. A sealant will not only help prevent spots in the future, but also enhance optical clarity making driving towards the sun on those late, sun soaked, summer afternoons a little more tolerable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Griots

I used Griot's glass cleaning clay followed by their polish. I have an '05 Silverado that has to stay outside and the side and back glass was really watermarked. I used a 3" glass cleaning pad on the small buffer. A 5" pad will work okay, it just leaves bigger corners to do by hand. Fortunately my '08 C6 hasn't needed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts