Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got caught in the rain about two weeks ago with my 04. I just put it in the garage without wiping it down. When I took it out this morning I noticed the famed dried water spots. What is the best way to get rid of these? I tried a lick of the finger and a rub on one of them and it didn't come out at all. Is it better to just take it to be detailed and buffed?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
My car is black and I have incurred this several times. I have used a bucket of my regular car wash soap in as hot water as I can stand and added 1/2 quart of vinegar. For the spots that didn't come off I used 3M "body repair rubbing compound, fine cut" part number 03900. It is 1500 grit. I've not used a buffer on the car yet. The deealer had buffed a spot before I took delivery and that it was very noticeable.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
please do not

USE ANY HOME REMIDIES ON PAINT COULD COST U big mony for a paint job only factory aproved wash and wax iknow guys that onll use warm water between detailing cosmo

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Just my opinion, but this is just something to get used to.

I used to chase down every minute imperfection in my paint (water marks, towel scratches), but only ended up with tired arms from working the buffer for hours.

So, now I just work on the paint a few times a year. And, I use 3M 39009 "for dark cars". There is a version of this for "light cars". These 3M products are available at any automotive paint supply store.

39009 is a VERY non-abrasive polish, but works well and is very forgiving. It is nothing like sandpaper. Just use it with a low-speed orbital buffer and a foam bonnet. This is fine for water marks. Anything harsher than that could induce nasty swirl marks or actually dull the paint.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I'm in no way trying to advertise for this product,but after a few coats of zaino,the car cleans very easy and they water spots will even wipe off with a dry cotton towel.My car is black and it rains alot in my area of the hills.Just my experience.With my old mothers wax,i couldn't keep the spots off the car.:buhbye:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
The Big Guy said:
Sal Zaino said to wipe down with straight white vinegar. if not successful clay it. If not successful you have to go to the wheel.
White vinegar? Hmm... same thing I use at home to get hard water spots of things.... elementary, Watson!:partyon:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts