Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to thank the Adam's crew for the fine products I purchased from them. The instructional dvd was very informative.

Now on to the problem. I recently moved to Enid, OK and the water here is very hard. I washed my car today in the sun and it was impossible dry the car before it dried due to the sun and now it is covered with watermarks. I used the detail spray and the reviving polish and that seemed to take most of them off but it was a pretty laboring process. Any hints on how to remove these marks more easily or a good source for a water softener attachment for the hose?

Thanks in advance!
John

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have had the same issue myself with water spots on my black C6 that did not go away easily, it seems after hitting them with detail spray a couple times they eventually fade away, so you may want to be careful about locking them in by waxing the car until you have buffed them completely out.

When I wash my car I try to use a shaded/covered area where I am not in direct sunlight, and immediately dry the car using a California water blade and synthetic chamois towel to alleviate water spots when drying. Also if I park somewhere that has sprinklers/rain/morning dew/etc. I try to use the same water blade/chamois drying trick before the water dries completely. Now that I have a garage it's not such a problem and I try to keep the car covered at work using a car cover. Others have suggested using a leaf blower to dry the car so maybe you want to try that too.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the same issue myself with water spots on my black C6 that did not go away easily, it seems after hitting them with detail spray a couple times they eventually fade away, so you may want to be careful about locking them in by waxing the car until you have buffed them completely out.

When I wash my car I try to use a shaded/covered area where I am not in direct sunlight, and immediately dry the car using a California water blade and synthetic chamois towel to alleviate water spots when drying. Also if I park somewhere that has sprinklers/rain/morning dew/etc. I try to use the same water blade/chamois drying trick before the water dries completely. Now that I have a garage it's not such a problem and I try to keep the car covered at work using a car cover. Others have suggested using a leaf blower to dry the car so maybe you want to try that too.
Thanks for the response. I see you're from Destin. I just moved from Pensacola. Destin is a nice area!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have a similar problem - I can't get the hard as nails water off the car before it dries and leaves nasty spots. I just tested a rinseless wash product called DP Four-in-One. One of the 4 uses is as a rinseless wash when you dilute it one ounce to a gallon of water. You soak a microfiber towel in this and wipe down the car, one section at a time. The solution is slippery and contains the dirt so it doesn't scratch the paint. After you gently wash each section, you dry it with another microfiber towel. I still use a two bucket method, rinsing the wash towel in clear water after each section.

The stuff worked as advertised and I was pleased with the results. Obviously, this won't work on the underside of your ride, but it's great for paint and glass. If my car is just dusty, I'll "dry" wash it with detail spray. If it's really filthy, I have to get out the hose and do the best I can. But if in between those, I'll use this rinseless wash. Diluted other ways, it can also be a claybar lubricant or detail spray.

One last tip: if your water is hard, remove the nozzle for your final rinse. It will generate fewer small water droplets that dry quickly and leave marks.

:cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,520 Posts
One last tip: if your water is hard, remove the nozzle for your final rinse. It will generate fewer small water droplets that dry quickly and leave marks.

:cheers:
Good words. This allows the water to 'sheet' rather than spray.

Yep John, the Agony and Ecstacy.

The Agony of keeping a black car nice and the ecstasy of a deep shine when you get it done.

...for about 6 seconds til the dust starts to settle on it :laughing:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Sorry to here you got the dreaded water spot nightmare:surprised
I know your pain:nuts:
Let me start by saying never wash that Black Beauty in the sun:thumbsup:
I always wait until the sun is on the other side of my house before I wash.
If you can't remove the spots with the detail spray you might have to use the clay bar to get them out.
Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
First off I would like to thank the Adam's crew for the fine products I purchased from them. The instructional dvd was very informative.

Now on to the problem. I recently moved to Enid, OK and the water here is very hard. I washed my car today in the sun and it was impossible dry the car before it dried due to the sun and now it is covered with watermarks. I used the detail spray and the reviving polish and that seemed to take most of them off but it was a pretty laboring process. Any hints on how to remove these marks more easily or a good source for a water softener attachment for the hose?

Thanks in advance!
John
Hey John, email Adam or call him and he'll tell you what to do, he's a real cool guy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
DONT WASH IT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT! :thumbsup:

Sorry - But I thought everyone new this.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Vinegar and water solution.

Only people with water rings on their cars , wash in the sun.As Mr. T would say " FOOL don't wash yo' car in the sun" sorry about that, that was Mr. T not me. By the way Vinegar and water will remove most if not all, good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
another vote for shade washing only and trying white vinegar or a claybar (on really tough spots.....after that, i would go to Adams swirl and haze remover or Zaino PC Fusion

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I would get much better results if I didn't wash it in the sun, but the only time my driveway is shaded is real late in the evening and real early in the morning and I'm not able to wash my car during those times. Thanks for the advice though.

I started making sure the car was completely wet then drove it in the car and immediately sprayed the whole car with detail spray before it started to dry. Then I began drying the car with a MF drying towel to remove the bulk of the water from the surface then follow with a MF polishing towel and that has been giving me pretty good results.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When mine gets washed, it's always in the sun. I have no choice. The driveway is in the sun from daylight to dark.

My method is to keep the car wet. I wash, for example, the top, back glass and hatch...rinse entire car. Wash rearend, rinse entire car. ETC, ETC. Yes, it's a process but it keeps the car somewhat cooler and keeps the water flowing on it. This has worked out well. Although it's not black, red shows watermarks about as bad. Also, I keep Adams butter wax on it and that makes it easier to blow the water off when I fire up the yard blower. Thats right, the old lawn and leaf blower. No MF towels or any other towel touches the finish. I hate those little minute scratches and swirls they leave. A gorgeous lady with a thong bikini on would never be allowed to lay on my hood.:thud:I do use a MF pad and MF polishing cloth to wax and detail it even though I have a dislike for them. Neighbors think I'm a fanatic and they would be correct. :smack

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks in advance!
John
John first off as everyone has already told you, try not to wash it in the sun, but everyone makes mistakes, Second to remove the water spots try this seems to work really well. Make up a 50/50 percent solution of vinegar, yes thats right, vinegar and water, dip a soft towel into it and apply the soultion to the water spots. That's it. It should remove the spots.

P.S. as if you need to hear this again...Don't do it in the Sun

Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
John first off as everyone has already told you, try not to wash it in the sun, but everyone makes mistakes, Second to remove the water spots try this seems to work really well. Make up a 50/50 percent solution of vinegar, yes thats right, vinegar and water, dip a soft towel into it and apply the soultion to the water spots. That's it. It should remove the spots.

P.S. as if you need to hear this again...Don't do it in the Sun

Hope this helps
Sorry left out the other 50%....its a 50/50 percent of vinegar and water.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The Agony of keeping a black car nice and the ecstasy of a deep shine when you get it done.

...for about 6 seconds til the dust starts to settle on it :laughing:
You said a mouth full there!!! :rolling: Love my Black C5, getting harder and harder to keep her clean all the time as summer as hit, and hit hot! I quickly found a shade tree in my yard to wash her under as I too was getting water spots. They are tough to remove. I used Adams Detail. If no shade is available, then as another said, KEEP HER WET! Rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse again before starting the drying process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts