Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that waviness in the top of the front and the rear bumper is a known problem in cars from the warmer climates; and so has my 'new' one!
This has just gone into the paintshop for a proper repaint, and I wonder if there is anything, while the bumpers are off the car, can be done about it, short of replacing them.
I am thinking of a way to push the ''indents'' back up, and stiffen them from the insde with fiberglass reinforced polyester or epoxy.
Will either product adhere to the Urethane, the original is made of [I think]??
Has this been done and with what results?
I know that it is not a good idea to just fill the depressions, as these are bound to pop off with the slightest impact or deformation or vibration.
Any ideas or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Cor

·
Registered
116 Posts
Short of replacing them with fiberglass bumpers, I have not heard of any other way to get rid of the wave.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The waviness shows you're authentic.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Your problem is common and is based on age and exposure to the elements, chiefly the sun.

FWIW: you probably will not like your results if you attempt to fill the low spots on your original covers.

If you cannot live with your originals, your only option is to replace them. Since the car is in for paint, now would be the time to replace them if that's the way you decide to go. Almost all of the replacement covers will require tweaking and fitting. Do that now before the car is painted.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Basically there were 2 reasons gm used the urethane bumpers : for impact resistance in case of a mild accident and for fit.

The second reason will be evident when you buy fiberglass bumpers, since they probably need to be individually fitted to your car. A urethane bumper flexes and lets you easily adapt it to the individual front end of your car (no 2 corvette are exactly the same in this location). The problem is that if it flexes, some spots will sit higher, some lower.

Secondly, the expansionrate of the urethane is bigger than that of the fiberglass front end, meaning it will warp when expanding.

This type of thing comes with the Corvette, so you either live with it or buy a fiberglass replacement (beware they don't 'give' when you run into something like the urethanes do)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts