Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
That tooth could also be 40 years old and knocked out of the head of a drunken Israeli celebrating Yom Kippur. I think they need alot more evidence to make this claim.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
OY, :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
This would be the reason...

"It's very exciting to come to this conclusion," said archaeologist Avi Gopher, whose team examined the teeth with X-rays and CT scans and dated them according to the layers of earth where they were found.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So who get's the bragging rights? I think the thing predates all modern religions by at least 390,000 years. Judiasim, Islam, and Christianity didn't exist back then.

Of course there could be some prehistoric political party that survived and want's to take credit :laughing: I'm sure the Democrat or Republican party can find some way to spin it in their favor.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Well... you have us there, Stu. This proves it! Apparently, nobody has ever lost a tooth digging a hole. The far more intriguing aspect (and apparently overlooked) -of this remarkable find... is the lack of any other fragments one would expect to find... corroborating the age of the fragment found... rather then just the age of the dirt it was found in. I wonder if the Denisovans were secular in belief... and had all the answers to their existence, too ?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
That is definitely a human lower first molar. Hopefully some kid didn't bury it in 1950 in ancient soil. :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm guessing they carbon dated the thing for the age.

The funny part of this, if the thing really is that old, the original owner of the tooth probably had some mutation where at the time his peers probably looked at him/her funny. If there was an ancient orthodontist I bet he would have been thinking boat payment. :D

Of course that mutation has now become the standard, evolution has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
"It's very exciting to come to this conclusion," said archaeologist Avi Gopher, whose team examined the teeth with X-rays and CT scans and dated them according to the layers of earth where they were found.
;)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I'm guessing they carbon dated the thing for the age.

The funny part of this, if the thing really is that old, the original owner of the tooth probably had some mutation where at the time his peers probably looked at him/her funny. If there was an ancient orthodontist I bet he would have been thinking boat payment. :D

Of course that mutation has now become the standard, evolution has to start somewhere.
The evolutionary trend has been toward shorter jaws. Species older than **** sapiens had 4 molars. Over time, the average jaw got shorter until there were only 3 molars. We have 3 molars, but our jaws are usually too short for them, so we have to have them (wisdom teeth) extracted since they often get infected. If we keep going for another 100,000 years, we might lose that 3rd molar. That will wreak havoc with Oral Surgery practices. :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
:laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one here thinks they are smart enough to know if the soil was disturbed? Layers = Undisturbed.

Sheesh. Archeology 101, People.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright... so you only made it through archeology 99....
Har-har. :rolleyes:

Anyone who knows anything about archeology knows that it is MUCH more common to only find a few fragments (usually teeth, BTW) than it is to find anything close to a complete skeleton.

But go ahead thinking you know more than a team of people with PhD's in the field. Go ahead!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
-And anybody that does... and can read, should come to the realization that they are making wild accusations based upon unreliable evidence.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Gopher, the Israeli archaeologist, said he is confident his team will find skulls and bones as they continue their dig.
Let's refrain from drawing conclusions until they finish their excavation.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
That's all we are saying...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts