Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old radiator just isn't doing the job anymore.. 230 deg temp coming home from a car show last weekend.. and it was overcast and in the 80's!

I ordered an aluminum radiator from Dewitts on Sunday, and it arrived on Wed. Friday night.. pull the hood, and the old radiator out (it actually rained, so my garage cooled off!).

Saturday -- The Dewitts radiator slipped in without a hitch!
The hard part was putting all the GM parts back on. I didn't have to remove the radiator support, just unbolt it, and push it towards the nose a couple of inches. Putting the plastic fan shroud back in was a pain.. I am running an electric fan, so no mechanical fan in the way!. After putting on new hoses, I filled it up with Prestone 50/50, and once I had the air out of the system, put the cap on, and she ran around 190 - 200 in full sun. Once the fan kicked in, the temp dropped and stayed around 185 (I set the idle to run high to keep the RPM's up). Outside Temp was in the 90's by then.

Now.. once my seats get back from the upholster, I can take her out for a long run and see how well she keeps cool.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I need to do the same thing and replace mine, it decided to blow out on me.

Just have to figure out how the fan shroud comes off

EDIT:
Question, everything i am reading says I have to remove the hood to pull the radiator? Since you have a 75 as well I figured id ask since that seems odd.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, you do need to remove the hood. It's in the way.
You have to unbolt the radiator frame, and push it towards the nose, then you have room to pull the plastic shroud out (if you have a mech. fan, remove it.

Once you get everything out of the way, you can pull the radiator. The lower rad hose is a real pain. I put mine on before installing the new radiator, leaving the clamp loose in case I have to twist the hose (a short squirt of WD40 helps) around to get it in right.

the Dewitts comes with 2 rubber mounts. I used them on the bottom. My top mounts were Ok.

Now.. if your radiator frame is rotted out at the bottom, instead of buying a new one, I cut the rusted portion out, and used a 1" square steel tube (Lowe's /Home Depot) to replace the rotted portion.. you can weld it in, or simply drill some holes, and bolt it to the radiator frame. I bolted the radiator mounts to the tube, and it works fine. Nobody's going to see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts