Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was on the way out yesterday and my wife mentions she hears a clicking from the Vette. I walk over and hear the convertible top cover latches engaging like the release button was being pressed. On looking at it we saw that the right latch would trip and then the left about 5 seconds later. About 5 seconds after that the cycle would repeat. :WTF The length of time between the latches going off wasn't always consistent but was mostly around 5 seconds. We were in a hurry to get somewhere so I just disconnected the battery and left.

I hate electrical gremlins...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was on the way out yesterday and my wife mentions she hears a clicking from the Vette. I walk over and hear the convertible top cover latches engaging like the release button was being pressed. On looking at it we saw that the right latch would trip and then the left about 5 seconds later. About 5 seconds after that the cycle would repeat. :WTF The length of time between the latches going off wasn't always consistent but was mostly around 5 seconds. We were in a hurry to get to get somewhere so I just disconnected the battery and left.

I hate electrical gremlins...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
I would help, but since I can't fix my blown fuses problems and speedo problems I feel my opinion would be useless at this point.:laughing:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean. This one will have to wait. I reconnected the battery and all is well (for now). Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do not know if it is the same on a 92 but my 96 several years ago was doing weird things as far a locking and unlocking the doors and the rear convertible cover before looking for the gremlins I disconnected the battery, reconnected it then took the owners manual and reprogramed the transmitter to match the vehicle and have not had a problem since. Hope your problem is this easy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 92 has keyless entry but it is aftermarket and does not unlock the cover, only the doors. Someone on the other forum mentioned that someone else had a similar issue which was caused by water getting in the solenoids causing them to fire. It did rain hard the other day so that may have been it. If it does it again I'll check for water in the latch electrics.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Also physically check to make sure your switch has released when you let off it. Some times in my 85 when I use my hatch release on the drivers side door panel, the switch will stick on and the latch will keep cycling. I have to physically push the switch off. It doesn't do it all the time, just occasionally. Of course I'm sure GM probably only pays about .25 a switch for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts