Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a question that i hope someone can answer for me!! i removed the front suspension bolts to lower my car and now im hearing clanking sounds whenever i turn the wheels at a stop or at very slow speeds. i dont hear it when im driving normally just when im parking or pulling into my drive way and its driving me crazy!! any help please!!!

Jess

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have never completly removed the bolts maybe some one here has?

·
Supporting Manufacturer
409 Posts
Jess,

I think that by taking the front bolts completely out, you created noise when the spring rubs on the lower control arm. The bolt you are talking about also has a bushing on it to insulate the spring from the control arm. It not only stops noise, but it protects the fiberglass of the spring. In fact I thint there in a metal insert in the spring that might be causing the noise as it grates on the softer aluminum of the control arm.

Isn't the car pretty low this way? You can get these cars lower than they really work correctly just by cutting some of the rubber bushing down.

My recommendation would be to cut half the rubber off the bolt ends and put them back in. These Corvettes work poorly when you lower the car extremely on the stock suspension because you collapse the shocks (they are the ultimate limiter of travel) and the suspension becomes essentially solid.

You've seen those Hondas bouncing around on the street with cut springs. That is what you create by going too low. You lose all damping and the springs become the bump stops in the shocks.

If you really are looking for a slammed car, consider going to a set of coil overs or shortened body shocks at a minumum.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

-Aaron

·
Registered
169 Posts
i'm having the exact same problem but i've kept my stock bolts in. I've lowered it to the max at the front without cutting the bush. At low speed turns or going up driveways its sounds like 'shackles' underneath. The car's still unsettling when i mash it and you got to be very brave above 100mph. Just gotta raid the savings for coilovers me thinks!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Pfadt Racing coil overs were the best mod I've ever done.

The DC Z is SLAMMMMMMED to the ground... but rides like a dream. No compromises... and you get to throw those leaf springs in the garbage!

Remember... horse and buggies had leaf springs... :crazy:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pfadt Racing coil overs were the best mod I've ever done.

The DC Z is SLAMMMMMMED to the ground... but rides like a dream. No compromises... and you get to throw those leaf springs in the garbage!

Remember... horse and buggies had leaf springs...
:crazy:
Thats one thing we Brits can't understand .... why do American cars still use leaf springs???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts