Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they said that there's been a rash of copper pipe theft in the area.....apparently people are going to houses with pipe cutters, cutting away as much copper pipe as they can from your air conditioning system, then taking it home, melting it all down and selling it.....black market copper......could this really be that profitable???? they said it's pretty much impossible to catch anybody unless you can catch them in the act....nothing really traceable about copper pipe.....:WTF :WTF

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I can guarantee you one thing. I like my A/C. I catch the bastards, I am going to fill them up with enough lead to retire on. Is lead bringing anything right now?:laughing:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
:surprised

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
SC-Razor said:
I can guarantee you one thing. I like my A/C. I catch the bastards, I am going to fill them up with enough lead to retire on. Is lead bringing anything right now?:laughing:
10 to 15 years!

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
After Katrina you wouldn't believe all the looters down here walking through the rubble picking up copper.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a subdivision right down the road from us got hit last night....there was like 17 houses they stole all the copper pipe they could. it's a new subdivision, so most of these homes were unoccupied....unbelievable....

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
ghostchild said:
could this really be that profitable????

As of today, copper is going for $7,950 per ton. I'm in the wrong business.

Copper prices are soaring because global demand for the metal has increased. Yet supply is not keeping up with demand, as it has suffered a series of labor disputes and mining accidents in Indonesia and Central and South America.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
poncherello said:
As of today, copper is going for $7,950 per ton. I'm in the wrong business.

Copper prices are soaring because global demand for the metal has increased. Yet supply is not keeping up with demand, as it has suffered a series of labor disputes and mining accidents in Indonesia and Central and South America.
all valid points, but how much can you really make when you're cutting little sections of pipe off people's air conditioners....it's miniscule amounts....seems like you'd have to raid 50 houses before you even had enough to make a drop in the proverbial bucket.....i don't get it.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
ghostchild said:
all valid points, but how much can you really make when you're cutting little sections of pipe off people's air conditioners....it's miniscule amounts....seems like you'd have to raid 50 houses before you even had enough to make a drop in the proverbial bucket.....i don't get it.

There's alot of money to be made.....don't forget, there's alot of scrap wire around, alot of construction sites with scraps and leftovers, and usually more than one person hunting for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts