Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy at a bar. He is supposedly a car guy. While talking, I was describing my rebuild of my father's '69. My biggest dilemma is a broken chassis. The break is just behind the driver's side door. There is a fair amount of rust around the area, but I have yet to determine how extensive. Anyhow, the guy claims that one can repair the broken chassis, even though there is some rust. He even claimed it might be cheaper than buying a different (new/used) chassis. I have my doubts, but the idea of saving as much of my father's car as I can, while saving money intrigues me.

Anyone here every try this? Is it possible? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
It depends on the damage. and location. You can also buy replacment parts for different areas of the frame

·
Registered
552 Posts
Of course you can repair a broken chassis. It's made of metal sections welded together!

Remove the corroded or cracked area, fabricate repair plates, weld em in.

If you want to get fancy, you can get an undamaged frame rail and surgically remove that section of your frame at the factory weld points, and insert the "new" rail into your frame.

Being a midwesterner I've repaired numerous rusty (non vette) frames with excellent results. The area you describe is a problem spot for C3s, likely a moisture trap. My fuel lines rusted out on the passenger side in the same spot. The good news is with a problem spot, is the rest of the chassis is likely in very good shape.

Only you can decide if it's better to have the original frame with a repair, or a replacement frame. But certainly do not be afraid of a repaired frame from a structural standpoint.

good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Frame cracks

I am doing a frame off on my 74. It only had 46k miles but the front crossmember had huge cracks in it and wow I had to do some welding. Stop drill weld and add lots of gussets. You can find some direction out there on the net for strengthening the c3 chassis by adding gussets. I also went around the entire frame and made solid welds instead of spot welds that held it together. I added the strut bar from the top control arms across in front of the engine. That will keep it from cracking again.

I can send you the documents if you want. email me at [email protected]

Jim

·
Registered
355 Posts
Be sure to jig it up real good while removing parts and afterwards welding or you could find yourself making a trip to the frame guy.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
:agree: During and after repairs, make sure your frame is square and true. As mentioned, a jig to isolate any frame movement during the repairs will ensure everything stays put.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts