Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vette has less than 20k miles on it. It's at the shop now for the 5th time inside of a year. Just ran out of original warranty last month. Bought the extended warranty. Found out last week that it has bad rings and is leaking oil from these rings. Price to fix- $3,500. Money spent on warranty that won't cover this $1,300.

So far, that's $4,800 out the window inside of a month if I get it fixed. There's a few other minor problems with the car, not sure what that's going to add up to. HMMMM, keep it or dump it? :huh:

This car has had more problems than any other car I've owned. To find out they won't fix a known problem under and extended warranty really pisses me off. Thanks Chevy. :finger:

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
u got my sympothy

that realy SUCKS did u buy from dealer i heard some have hardship programs my nabor just used one for his daughter in calif saved her but on money even paid the ramp fee

·
Registered
762 Posts
How common is this? Anyone else had similar problems?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooooooo,

I took the car to a different dealership and had no problem. They are doing an "oil consuption study." Every 1k miles I have to take the car in to see how much oil has been lost. I have to do this for 3k miles. If there is enough oil lost over 3k miles, my warranty will cover a ring job.

Side note to Stilcrazee, the dealership has the same initials as Burger King. ;)

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
T,
Good Luck. They did do rings and pistons on my son's without a 3k wait. We had a noticeable piston slap noise though. Have they "sealed" the oil pan plug so only they can take it off?:D

You may need to help your cause.;)

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
VPRSNAK,

Is your car a Z06? If not, then there is a good chance that your car is losing oil by sucking it into the PCV system. A lot of C5 owners have the dealer replace piston rings when it isn't necessary. If your car uses excessive oil, but still makes greater than 140 PSI in each cylinder, then piston rings are NOT the answer.

Here is a link to a great article on how to convert an LS1 PCV system to the more efficient LS6 system. It requires 6 hours (for a competent tech with the tools listed) and about $70 in parts. Anyone with an LS1 car that uses oil should consider this conversion:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

1 - 10 of 10 Posts