·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......:laughing:

First habitable planet outside solar system is found

For the first time, astronomers have detected a rocky planet
in another solar system that has the most basic and essential
conditions needed to support extraterrestrial life.

....so,....which big oil company will be the first to send a team to drill....:D

Source

·
Registered
508 Posts
My guess is BP!!!

There would not be any environmental regulations for them to worry about there....:rolling::rolling::rolling:

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's kinda depressing knowing that it's impossible to make it there in our lifetime.:(

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Well, it's mass is 3 times that of earth, so if I went there I'd weigh almost 600lbs.

My wife would weigh 330. That would really upset her.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

....so,....which big oil company will be the first to send a team to drill....:D

Source
I volunteer to frac that well:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
First... we have to FRAG the local indigenous entities. Otherwise -some bleeding heart will just come along and give them rights and protections. :laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts

Source
1 lightyear = 6 trillion miles. This place is 20 lightyears away... or 120 trillion miles. Why this is news is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
1 lightyear = 6 trillion miles. This place is 20 lightyears away... or 120 trillion miles. Why this is news is beyond me.
That ain't the only thing that is beyond you, if I may, the planet is too ... :smack

a++ Cedric who's going to home after 18 hours at the office. :cheers:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
:laughing:

"This is our first Goldilocks planet - just the right size and the right distance from its sun," said astronomer and "planet-hunter" Paul Butler with the Carnegie Institution of Washington. "A threshold has been crossed."

The planet, called Gliese 581G, is quite close at 20 light years from Earth's solar system. It is considered to be in the habitable zone because of its distance from its sun and its size"

Another mars.....:laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Again, who cares? We will never reach this planet. If there is something on this planet we'll never know about it.

How can you say that positivly? last week we didn't even know it exsisted.

First step finding it, Second step figuring what to do with it. If we stopped at step 1 we would have never made it to the moon. Remember the moon was measured by men who did not have nothing but flat rock and coal:lookinup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Again, who cares? We will never reach this planet. If there is something on this planet we'll never know about it.
You are correct, sir. The distance is 20 years at the speed of light. Since we have yet to travel 1% of the speed of light, we haven't reached the point where we could get there in 2000 years.:surprised

1 - 20 of 31 Posts