Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just wanted to post a little update on the car. After getting it on the lift we decided it needed to be pulled apart so everything came off. The body remained on the frame, didn't feel like messing with that. The rockers are all rust free and so is the birdcage so there was no need to pull it apart. The body mounts were good also and it looks like someone replaced them before and forgot to install one of the #1 bolts, the lower cushion is missing (and so is the bolt) We cleaned and prepped the frame, we replaced all the brake lines and all the bolts and hardware has been plated or replaced. The engine got some mods too but nothing drastic. Will replace the carb and intake with an individual runner port fuel intake system later but want to put it all together again and run it first. Se, here's some pics Still some work to do but the nasty bit is done.

First some before pics, then after cleaning off all the clay like stuff that was on there and then where we are now. Also did the fuel tank, brake booster, master cylinder, front and rear wheel bearings, parking brake...and so on and so on,.but don't have pics of that all.

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing, this car had polyurethane bushing almost everywhere, except on the trailing arm forward bushings. It kind of proves what my brother said, those poly bushings are junk when it comes to using them where they are in a twisting/binding motion. They don't work worth a damn on the camber rods, the centers were fine but the shoulders were shot, simply mangled. :down:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
My camber rod bushings were junk also.

The ones in my Ta's feel pretty good though. Could be rubber. I didn't take the ta's out.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
12 years ago the vette shop left in the stock rubber t-arm bushings....

but the struts are urethane...been about 4 years since they were changed the first time...so not so bad for ~8 years wear...hell with it...

figger I got 4 more to go....

so I recomment your approach....

I AM INSANELY JEALOUS..... you NOT going to actually DRIVE that are you???

or just show us a naked skeleton like your bro there???

:D :D :cheers:

·
Registered
879 Posts
12 years ago the vette shop left in the stock rubber t-arm bushings....

but the struts are urethane...been about 4 years since they were changed the first time...so not so bad for ~8 years wear...hell with it...

figger I got 4 more to go....

so I recomment your approach....

I AM INSANELY JEALOUS..... you NOT going to actually DRIVE that are you???

or just show us a naked skeleton like your bro there???

:D :D :cheers:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
:thumbsup:

I like the way you painted the engine block silver to give it that All-Aluminum look.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Pardon my previous reply, no offense intended. It was one of those gut reaction things. I have been watching your brothers' progress for a while now....

That is indeed a very nice looking project you have. Hopefully you will be on the road soon! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Isn't amazing how great they look when you get it all cleaned up and painted! With the chassis and engine all redone along with the awesome paint job, that ride is going to be a complete knockout!

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We're still going strong, the ugly spark plug wires will be gone soon, as will the ugly distributor. will most likely install a unilite w/ some nice red msd wires. it's starting to look like a whole car again, the front susp. is almost done, just waiting for some last bits from the powdercoaters and new stuff from vansteel. I really like the KRC serpentine setup, it was far from cheap but it's so nice, tidy and compact. Sure beats the ugly stock pulleys.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Ain t no one kidding anyone.....you NOT going to drive that, just show it off a trailer or something....

but at least you have an operational car far before your brother get HIS running and on the road.....:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Tell Marc us road warriors will have to come over there and kick his ass to 'GIT ER DONE!!!'.....

:laughing: :laughing: :smack :cheers:

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
like a freight train we are, impossible to stop :) front suspension is DONE :thumbsup: Everything is new or rebuilt, including the steering box. I've got all the parts back from the platers, just waiting on some new u joints and other small pieces from van steel and some pro coil over shocks, swaged sleeves and rod ends (and some locking nuts, including those for the tie rods) and such to complete the IRS.

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, the spring is shot, the spring bolts are too short, the spring cushions are shot, the ear is broken on the cover, the shocks are shot... and so on...and so on. Simple economics tells me that it is about the same amount for either stock or coil overs and the steel spring just looks plain awful. A HD cover will run me way over 200$ here because of shipping (or if I buy it here), same for 2 bilsteins, then add a set of longer bolts @ 50$, a reconditioning kit for the rear spring, cushions and what else it needs. My bro says he can weld it up in no time, he has all the nice allen bolts and stuff for the 1/2" mounts and a couple of spare trailing arms that can easily be welded/modified.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts