Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have some fine scratches in my clearcoat (black paint). You can not feel them and only see them in bright sun. They are not swirl marks, the PC took the swirls and haze out :thumbsup:.
Will wet sanding (by a pro, not me) take these out? What are the risks, and any ballpark figure on what to expect the price of wetsanding the entire car would be?

·
Registered
724 Posts
If in fact they are scratches and they have not gone through the clear coat, than yes wet sanding will take care of your problem. I have two suggestions for you before you go out and pay someone to wet sand and buff the finish. If you can see them in the sunlight, then try and get a few good pictures and post them here or over on the Adams forum. Also take a look at this instructional video by the Junkman. http://adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3223

AJ knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watched the videos :surprised
Scared the crap out of me. No way I will do that to the entire car at my skill level.
I have only used the PC on four vehicles, so I am a newbie for sure.
I may have to look at a compound that is more abrasive then Adam's Swirl and Haze, and yet not so abrasive that I screw my paint up.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you have used the PC, do you have the small 4" pads that can go on the PC or a drill motor. They can be used for a little more aggressive approch.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I watched the videos :surprised
Scared the crap out of me. No way I will do that to the entire car at my skill level.
I have only used the PC on four vehicles, so I am a newbie for sure.
I may have to look at a compound that is more abrasive then Adam's Swirl and Haze, and yet not so abrasive that I screw my paint up.
Any suggestions?
With out pictures of the scratches.Your safest bet is 1000 grit , then 1500 grit sand paper. Do not wet sand it makes it harder to see what you are doing.....Then use the yellow pad ...Then the black pad. whirl and haze remover is a good compound to use. Sand by hand if you use a vibrating sander it will heat up the clear coat and damage it.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
With out pictures of the scratches.Your safest bet is 1000 grit , then 1500 grit sand paper. Do not wet sand it makes it harder to see what you are doing.....Then use the yellow pad ...Then the black pad. whirl and haze remover is a good compound to use. Sand by hand if you use a vibrating sander it will heat up the clear coat and damage it.
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

You DO NOT want to do this! Those papers will wipe out your clear coat in a matter of strokes and you will be looking at one hell of a paint bill. A novice DOES NOT want to be wet sanding on his Vette to begin with, especially without a paint thickness gauge ($2700 for one that works on a Corvette), but dry sanding damage is even harder to remove! You cannot remove 1000 - 2000 grit damage with the PC! That requires a rotary polisher!

If you can feel the damage with your fingernail, it is probably through the clear coat. YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH THAT. Have it professionally repaired as the PC is NOT going to do anything to those scratches, no matter what compound you use. It is not powerful enough.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

You DO NOT want to do this! Those papers will wipe out your clear coat in a matter of strokes and you will be looking at one hell of a paint bill. A novice DOES NOT want to be wet sanding on his Vette to begin with, especially without a paint thickness gauge ($2700 for one that works on a Corvette), but dry sanding damage is even harder to remove! You cannot remove 1000 - 2000 grit damage with the PC! That requires a rotary polisher!

If you can feel the damage with your fingernail, it is probably through the clear coat. YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH THAT. Have it professionally repaired as the PC is NOT going to do anything to those scratches, no matter what compound you use. It is not powerful enough.
Listen to junkman he knows what hes talking about....And I learned something new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you tried the Severe Swirl Remover? Might lessen some of the scratches. Then fill em in with Brilliant Glaze. The damage might be too deep to perminantly fix, you might have to cover it up.

I'm a bit of a hike from York, but I've done the trip many times. I will be at my shop all day Sun. You're welcome to come over and I'll see what I can do with the Flex. I have a lot of the SSR in stock and haven't used it yet. Might try it out on the '02 Z0 this weekend.

PM me for the shop address if you want to stop in. It's Doylestown, PA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts