Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice Please Fellow Vetters.....what 5 Speed Conversion Is The Simplest And Best For My C3. Make And Suppliers Please.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Advice Please Fellow Vetters.....what 5 Speed Conversion Is The Simplest And Best For My C3. Make And Suppliers Please.
Both keisler and classic make conversion kits that pretty much bolt-on. I still recommend you make your cross member removable (if you have a 4-speed car). Even though it is possible to install the 5-speed with a fixed cross member it's such a pain.

Or if you're prepared to spend a few more hours you can get a universal tremec and do the mods yourself. Going that route will save you close to $1000. I did my own conversion a few years ago and the total came to $2k.

Some pics of my install:

Tremec Install

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I don't think it's such a pita to install it with a fixed crossmember, only took me about half an hour or so. I don't like how the cut crossmember looks, unless you use a nice pair of plates that bolt together welded at each end.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yeh, a few years ago I got good and pissed of at pulling the engine yet again for a 700 tranny repair....it used to be a Muncie....so I cut the damn thing, used 2' angle on the ends, and through bolt it with a 1/2 inch bolt going fore/aft grip nut on it....not going anywhere....it's kinda fugly under there, but it don't show much and so it stays....it works....

rather get the exhaust welded than pull the engine....

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I have the Keisler and am happy with the kit and their Tech support. Works great too.
how strong are they? What max HP or TQ do they recommend? Is the 6-spd weaker?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would highly recommend making the crossmember removable. Seems that you pull the tranny for one reason or another over time and the removable crossmember really makes life alot easier. I have helped others do the removable crossember, I myself started with the automatice but for others make it removeable and save yourself grief.
I perssonally like the mustang T5 conversion. Both cheap and it is a good tranny

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would highly recommend making the crossmember removable. Seems that you pull the tranny for one reason or another over time and the removable crossmember really makes life alot easier. ........
:agree:

I've got a Doug Nash 5spd in my '69. It's a nightmare when I have to pull the tranny. I haven't been able to talk myself into cutting any of the original frame, so I end up pulling the engine out, as I can't get the trans out without doing that, or lifting the body (which I did for the initial installation). After a few times doing that I reached the end of my sense of humor on that whole process. I bought a used '69 auto frame a couple years back, and while contemplating all the work ahead to move the engine and body over to the new frame, I got to thinking that this would be a good opportunity to use up some of the C4 suspension parts I had laying around. Once finished, it's going to be nice to be able to beat the car again without having to worry about transmission R&R issues.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You definitely need a bolt in crossmember, it makes life SOOO much easier. I modified my own on my TKO install, just bought the tranny and fabbed up the rest, saved probably $1,000 over the cost of a kit.

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
I would highly recommend making the crossmember removable. Seems that you pull the tranny for one reason or another over time and the removable crossmember really makes life alot easier. I have helped others do the removable crossember, I myself started with the automatic but for others make it removeable and save yourself grief.
I perssonally like the mustang T5 conversion. Both cheap and it is a good tranny
Great informative thread...

The mustang T5 are everywhere and pretty reasonbly priced. Found a TKO500 with 26 spines too. I have a GM crate Vortech 330 HP engine with the stock 4spd 70 Munsie. Would I need a need a new bell housing ? Will it be hard to find??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
how strong are they? What max HP or TQ do they recommend? Is the 6-spd weaker?
TKO 500 is good to 550 hp
TKO 600 is good to 650 hp

Great informative thread...

The mustang T5 are everywhere and pretty reasonbly priced. Found a TKO500 with 26 spines too. I have a GM crate Vortech 330 HP engine with the stock 4spd 70 Munsie. Would I need a need a new bell housing ? Will it be hard to find??
the keisler tremecs transmissions will fit in a muncie bellhousing. but i think lakewood has a bellhousing for ford tremecs to a sbc

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
After talking to a few of my hot rod buddies, I went with a Richmond Gear 6 speed. They were real easy to work with and answered every question in detail the 4 or 5 times I called them. I pulled the tran apart to have it powder coated, then got nervous about putting it back together. I called Richmond (yet again) and they said "pay for freight both ways and we will reassemble it at NO CHARGE" !! There's a real good shot of it in "my corvette photo's"

http://www.richmondgear.com/

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've got the Keisler TKO-500 5spd in mine... converted from the stock Borg Warner Super T-10 4spd. I love it. Very easy conversion with no cutting or fabrication needed. I kept the stock 3.07 rear gear and I find there is a lot more available in 1st and I haven't found top end yet in 5th!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I actually tried several weeks ago to get a Group Purchase together on CF with Keisler. The deal they came back with was not nearly what I or others had hoped for. It essentialy was between 1-3% off. I am not knocking them for this as I may still purchase from them eventually but I was definately disappointed in there lack of willingness to come up with a better deal when so many people were interested in buying a kit.

Anyway, I contacted ClassicChevy5speeds which have essentially the same product and Scott in there sales staff presented the following offer good till February 28th.

5% off for 1-3 orders
10% off for >3 orders

Sense the GP was to the other forum I would suggest that you contact Scott directly but I am sure he wouldn't turn down sales for this GP based on different forum membership.

As a disclaimer I want to say again that I am not endorsing or knocking either company. I was disappointed in Keisler but it is their buisness and their right to pricing.

Unfortunately for me. Now that I have a bad engine block and the motor is out I wont be able to participate in the GP but if any of you guys can benefit go for it!

Wade

·
Registered
6 Posts
TKO 5 Speed

The mustang T5 are everywhere and pretty reasonbly priced. Found a TKO500 with 26 spines too.

Has someone done the install with the mustang T5 I guess with the lakewood bell housing that will connect to a BBC with an offset gear shift conversion so that you do not have to cut the trans tunnel on the car. Not crazy about hacking up a classic but like the modern 5 speed in place of the Muncie.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts