Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was under the vette the other night and the thought of adding some sheetmetal air deflectors for these cutouts dawned on me ; have you toyed with the idea ?? Thought maybe come outward about 2.5 inches at a 45 degree angle downward ; that would put them at the same level as the ttom of the oil pan. Im sure they would grab alot of air when moving.

What do u think ? ANy ideas ?

Dave

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
SwaveDave said:
Was under the vette the other night and the thought of adding some sheetmetal air deflectors for these cutouts dawned on me ; have you toyed with the idea ?? Thought maybe come outward about 2.5 inches at a 45 degree angle downward ; that would put them at the same level as the ttom of the oil pan. Im sure they would grab alot of air when moving.

What do u think ? ANy ideas ?

Dave
It may help you run cooler at higher speeds, but don't think there would be any performance improvement....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to bring some more air in for the radiator and get the benefit of my twin electric radiator fans not kicking on as much. They dont kick on much now...but, keeping them off even more will make em last longer,and give me 'some' reduced load on the motor .

·
Registered
84 Posts
My twin fans never run for more than 3 min. I do have the stock air dam under the car very Important . on the free way even in 100 degree weather my fans barly run my secret

Stewart Hi flow water pump Hi flow stat

thermostat switch 195on/185off 180*stat

Also have new seals around radiator

Sounds like a really sweet and $$$$$$$ ride any pics.?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm with clar2000. My fans are only needed in town , not on the freeway. I did try it without the stock air dam and the car ran hotter.
I also made a few different aluminum air dams and clamped them temporarily in place but they looked cheesey.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I think there may be a problem with wall length of the deflectors and clearance when you open the hood? Or am I not understanding what you envision?

I keep thinking of replacing the plastic air dam underneath with an aluminum piece that scoops an inch or two lower. This would possibly divert more air toward the radiator as well as reduce turbulence along the chassis.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am talking about air scoops that go under the front of the car, scoop a little more air and direct it up through the rad. I made a few of these but when you stand back you see this big ugly aluminum sheet.
I am a good fabricator with all the proper equipment so the fabrication is excellent but it still looks cheesy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts