Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After finally looking at the newly released pictures over and over again, I think that this new look will eventually grow on me. But, I still am not too happy about the back end of the car, specifically, the black plastic piece that house the new integrated back up lights. Is it me, or does it seem that Chevy took the cheap route on this particular design element? Couldn't they eliminate this cheap, tacky add on which looks like a afterthought, and instead make it a seamless design similar to the C5 rear end?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think with this black part they want to avoid the "big butt" of the C5 and make it look a bit sleeker.

What do You think?

Regards, Olli :cool:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
The rear plastic piece (or whatever) was integrated to reduce the huge look of the larger tushy. It doesn't look all that bad.

I'm worried about the C7, GM may make a full conversion to a station wagon inadvertantly while continuing to raise the ass height.

Just makes me wonder how Ferrari and other manufacturers can make cars that are stable at high-speeds WITHOUT a big ass.

If the big ass on the Vette was for more cargo space, then I think CEO's should forget about throwing clubs in the Vette and just take the damn SUV.

:huh:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
... If the big ass on the Vette was for more cargo space, then I think CEO's should forget about throwing clubs in the Vette and just take the damn SUV.

I think you hit it, Pat. They probably made a decision that, while reducing the overhangs, they weren't going to sacrifice the perceived advances (cabin/cargo space increases, etc.) made with the C5.

·
Registered
30 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
I like it...I just hate the ricer headlights!:nuts:

Whoa..."ricer" headlights??? You have the definition of rice backwards. Rice is anything that presents the appearance of speed without actually adding speed. All the popup headlights lovers associate the popups with the Corvette, which is pretty close to saying that popups are a symbol of speed. Since popups add more weight, parts, and aerodynamic drag over comparable NONpopups, that would place popup's in the rice category....at least if it was done as a conversion.

Here's a list of sample rice:
blue headlights
clear signal lamps
decals
stripes
neon
fat exhaust tips
most spoilers
most body kits

·
Registered
30 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
The rear plastic piece (or whatever) was integrated to reduce the huge look of the larger tushy. It doesn't look all that bad.

I'm worried about the C7, GM may make a full conversion to a station wagon inadvertantly while continuing to raise the ass height.

Just makes me wonder how Ferrari and other manufacturers can make cars that are stable at high-speeds WITHOUT a big ass.

If the big ass on the Vette was for more cargo space, then I think CEO's should forget about throwing clubs in the Vette and just take the damn SUV.

A fat flat ass is for aerodynamics. The only better rear end is a long tail that ends in a thin vertical strip at the top. Another aero trick is flat sides. The Trans Am has aero problems because of it's Coke bottle shape, but the Corvette has good aero and flat sides and rear.

As for other cars with a flat fat ass, let me post a few examples:
McLaren F1
Ferrari F40
Ferrari F50
Porsche 959
Mosler MT900
Ultima GTR
Saleen S7

All these cars have a rear end that is as wide as the car, and a flat rear end (sometimes with holes).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like the rear end. Rounder tail lights and the license plate area is much cleaner. I always thought the C5 license plate/back up light area looked like a bit added on cut out in the middle of the bumper. The underside area would look way cool if it were carbon fiber. But the aftermarket guys will take care of that. I think it looks like the rear air tunnel on an F1 race car. It may also be functional in that regard given the amount of aero work that went into the C6.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hello all,

I like big butts...oh wait a minute, wrong website. Just kidding.

Anyway, I like the car so far. The rear end is an evolution of the c5 rear end (and I love the c5). I think it will help the non-car people (those who look at cars as just some kind of appliance) out there make the connection between the c6 and c5. Plus, it is distinctive and forceful in its design...look at the Nissan 350Z's rear end. It just dies out like a limp noodle.

This is my first time on the post...I don't have a Corvette but I want one...debating c5 vs c6. Most likely I will wait and end up getting a c6 since I just bought a house and I need the money!

Mikeetc

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,528 Posts
Hey MIKEETC. Welcome to DC. Glad to have you here. The ass of the C5 took a while to grow on me. after the years I bought one. The C6 is doing me the same way. Probably by the time I see one IRL I'll be hooked.

Don't let the house stop you. If you do you'll never have the money. You need to go look at the roof to find out what kind of house you have. You should be able to see some very faint numbers. On my roof is a 5 0 0, so I'll got a 500 house. That's what it'll cost you. Need HVAC work, $500. Need paint, $500. Need a new couch, $500. well you get the idea.

There will probably be some good deals on C5s in the near furure when some steo up the new model. You might onsider on of those

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

From the NCM website:

Diffused rear fascia
“We wanted to enhance the effect of the skin of the car being drawn down more tightly to the body and also reduce the visual weight of the rear end,” said Peters. “So we added a diffuser to the bottom of the rear fascia to enhance air flow and to add visual interest to the rear of C6.”

From this picture you can see the diffusers at the bottom of the fascia, I've never noticed that before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So, they ARE officially calling it a diffuser to enhance airflow. See my post above regarding the F1 race car look it gives the C6. I'll bet that the C6R will dominate the race circuit even more than the C5R did. This whole design screams race car.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Rear Light

I'm sure we will have a mod to take care of that as soon as we get our C6.

We'll also be looking at making a carbon fiber bezel for the exhaust, with a new touch.

Jim Hall
Halltech

1 - 15 of 15 Posts