Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me list the "freebie mods" my otherwise stock 1987 Coupe (auto tranny, 3.07 rear end gears) has: KN filter with cut-out lid, no pre cats, bypassed TB coolant, TB airfoil, Hypertech Thermomaster chip, 160 degrees stat, manual fans switch, cut back spark plug electrodes. :excited:
What I intend to do: ported plenum, SLP's high-flow cast aluminum TPI intake runners (siamesed), Big Mouth Tpi Base Intake Manifold, rear Y-pipe with crossover pipe and Monza or Dynomax mufflers. Also, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Maybe, in the near future, 1.6 roller rockers.:smokin:
I definitely do not want to go into the engine at this time for financial reasons.:( What can I expect from these mods? I do not expect to break any speed records and this car is my daily driver so it has to remain streetable and mantain decent mileage. :rolling:
What do you think of these mods? NOTE: I intend to keep the stock 48 mm Throttle Body.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didn't see Long Tube Headers on your list. I'd strongly recommend them with your other intended engine modifications.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fast90 said:
I didn't see Long Tube Headers on your list. I'd strongly recommend them with your other intended engine modifications.
I have considered the long tube headers but have heard:
1- They are a PITA to install :nuts:
2- You have to build a new Y-pipe to make them fit.
3- They are too expensive.
4- They don't have where to install the oxigen sensor.
5- Some spark plugs are really hard to get at with headers installed.
6- Some headers hang too low and scrape speed bumps.

Do you know which headers are easiest to install?
Thank you.:buhbye:

·
Registered
39 Posts
AlfonsoGomez said:

I have seen so many people go with the following headers for the L98:

1. Hooker 2149's
2. TPiS
3. Lingenfelter

The Hooker headers are probably the cheapest of the three and you can also get their front y-pipe to compliment the set. Call Summit Racing and they can set you up!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with fast90 & others, LT headers would be a nice power adder.

Get them ceramic coated and with the front Y.

One advantage of the more expensive TPIS LT headers is that they have the bolt stand-offs, like the OEM shorites, so that most or all accessories easily bolt up.

With a hi-flow cat & cat-back LTs should add around 15chp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll echo the reccomendation on the TPIS Headers. Used them when I still had the Crossfire in the car. They come with the "Y" and fit perfect. I had a little trouble with the plugs but the reason was because the Crossfire had Streight Plug pockets and not the Angled pockets that you have on the 87 Heads.
Besides, the other mods won't do you much good if the engine can't breath........

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
AlfonsoGomez said:

1. They may be tough to install, but you only need to install them once :D
2. As said, TPiS and Hooker have avail Y-pipes for your App. I think LPE does as well
3. Can't argue you there.
4. Some do, In fact the 2149 Hookers have AIR Tubes and an o2 spot
5. Takes me under an hour to do plugs with my 2151 Hookers
6. My coupe is lowered and I don't scrape

·
Registered
39 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
I have Hedman Headers. I can change my plugs fairly easy. I didnt install them but I was told they were a real PITA! :surprised
:agree:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
The hooker headers design the C4 Corvettes and a small block engine already have a place for the oxygen sensor, they are fairly easy to install once you remove the stock exhaust system have approximately the same clearance for speed bumps that the stock exhaust system had an are only slightly more difficult than the stock exhaust system to change spark plugs, the headers are necessary if you're going to make good power but you will also have to replace the front (Y) pipe, those terribly restricted two and a quarter inch (2.25") Stock exhaust pipes and those crummy stock mufflers, not to mention installing a high flow cat, I would suggest a minimum of 2 1/2 inch 3 in. being better ,exhaust pipes and the flow master mufflers designed for the corvettes (yes I'm aware that they fit 2 1/2 inch pipe and yes I'm aware you will have to have a reducer from your 3 in. pipe exhaust system, to get them to fit correctly and it's also a good idea to have a crossover pipe just in one of those reducer's but should be mounted just in front of me mufflers. This reduces that annoying vibration at low RPM's but Corvettes are famous for while still giving you a big boost in power
just for you or information info those changes are normally worth about 27 horsepower to 40 horsepower

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
AlfonsoGomez said:

I think most of that ONLY applies to the Hedman's. I have found that most everything is better with TPIS and Hooker headers. The Hedmans are cheap but you get what you pay for. When I do headers again, I'm going w/ either the TPIS or Hooker.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Do you have the legal headers? :surprised

I have coated non-legal Hedman headers and that cost $360.

I haven't priced the TPIS or Hooker's in over a year but I think they were in the $600 or $700 range w/ coating.

·
Registered
0 Posts
War Machine said:
Do you have the legal headers? :surprised

I have coated non-legal Hedman headers and that cost $360.

I haven't priced the TPIS or Hooker's in over a year but I think they were in the $600 or $700 range w/ coating.
I dont think they are legal. I paid $300.00 & then 275ish to have them coated.:huh:

·
Registered
74 Posts
The TIPS headers for '86 and newer Corvette are $750 ceramic coated and come with a 3" front Y (I don't think the Y is ceramic coated), gaskets, etc.

Though these headers install "from the bottom with no cutting", I've heard that in some cases it's necessary to bend the fuel lines slightly to clear the #2 tube. But I think this also was true of most/any LTs.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I'd be jumping for joy if all I had to do was bend the fuel lines. :excited:

I had to modify my evaporator box to clear the #8 tube. The damn thing caught fire shortly after we started the engine.

84 GRANDSPORT,

Do you have the tubes to connect the AIR and EGR? Did it come w/ an O2 bung? If so, they are legal. I didn't have any of that. I had to weld on an O2 bung. I bought the Hedman headers for $110 from Summit and paid $250 to have them coated locally.

·
Registered
0 Posts
War Machine said:
I'd be jumping for joy if all I had to do was bend the fuel lines. :excited:

I had to modify my evaporator box to clear the #8 tube. The damn thing caught fire shortly after we started the engine.

84 GRANDSPORT,

Do you have the tubes to connect the AIR and EGR? Did it come w/ an O2 bung? If so, they are legal. I didn't have any of that. I had to weld on an O2 bung. I bought the Hedman headers for $110 from Summit and paid $250 to have them coated locally.
No I had to make an 02 connector (used only for my air fuel guage). I bought them like 3 years ago...Maybe I paid less & forgot?:huh: I know it was almost $300 to coat them inside & out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
<ET> said:
I'll echo the reccomendation on the TPIS Headers. Used them when I still had the Crossfire in the car. They come with the "Y" and fit perfect. I had a little trouble with the plugs but the reason was because the Crossfire had Streight Plug pockets and not the Angled pockets that you have on the 87 Heads.
Besides, the other mods won't do you much good if the engine can't breath........
Get the TPIS headers with their Y pipe. They were real easy to install, bolted right up fit perfectly the first time without any modifications to anything. This is a quality piece. Now, I DO have a lift which probably took a lot of the pain out of the install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great plan on intake work with runners, big mouth intake and ported plenum. SLP's not my first choice and flow less out of the box than anyone else, but at $225 and if you're handy enough to port/siameese yourself they can compete quite well. Arizona Speed & Marine flow best out of the box, but for $400. Maybe worth it if you'd have to have port work on SLP's done outside. Intakes Edelbrock, TPIS or Accel all flow "reasonably" close, but most popular tend to be TPIS or Accel.

These three mods listed above will greatly improve the breathability on the intake side. Now you've got to get it out just as fast and smooth as you're bringing it in. This is where the HEADERS will benefit all that work and money listed above. Otherwise the exhaust manifolds will choke all that new found air. They're not to bad to install, drivers side can go in from the top and the passenger side you'd just have to get the car high enough in the air to make it easier from the bottom. Most people aren't fans of the Hedman headers I feel mainly because they are priced dramatically lower. On a mild set-up like you're planning I doubt you'd see much of a difference in performance for dollar ratio. As mentioned these can be had for next to nothing even with the emission provisions for the smog police. Just get them ceramic coated. I like Jet-Hot, tell them you're a forum member and you heard they give a discount to forum members. I got my TPIS headers ceramic coated inside and out, all prep work done and shipped for $250.

Your rear exhaust plans sound good, for a little better flow and some extra ponies I would go with a high-flow cat from Random Tech or Car sound. Just remember, those headers will really make a difference here, and for that matter on your intake side as well.

You also mentioned you didn't want to go in the engine and you were thinking of 1.6 RR's. The RR's would increase your lift and with some better springs would be like installing a little beefier cam. So you'd kill to birds with one stone. And yes the fuel pressure regulator would be great to dial it all in.

IF I HAD COULD DO ONLY ONE OF THE MODS LISTED HERE, IT WOULD BE THE HEADERS!!!! EVERYTHING ELSE SURROUNDS THEM AND WOULD ONLY BENEFIT FROM THEM. Trust me, if you did all these mods minus the headers, it wouldn't really come together until after the header install.

Can I get an AMEN? :thud:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts