·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
| PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION | E-MAIL THIS STORY TO A FRIEND |

(08:30 Dec. 23, 2003)
Bedeviled Vettes: Chevy mum about plans for 600-hp C6 supercar

By AUTOWEEK

Chevy is not confirming the existence of a super-high-performance Corvette called the Blue Devil (AW, Dec. 22), but officials acknowledge it’s possible that engineering and racing development prototypes based on the sixth-generation Corvette do exist and may have picked up the moniker.

And yes, as many AutoWeek readers have suggested, the Blue Devil name was chosen intentionally to catch the attention of General Motors CEO and Duke University Blue Devil alumnus Rick Wagoner.

Chevy officials say they have no production plans for the 600-hp, 7.0-liter V8-powered Blue Devil, despite information obtained by AutoWeek pointing to a 2006 production debut of the $100,000 sports car. The production C6’s worldwide premiere is just days away at the Detroit auto show.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I don't think I'd ever pay upwards of $100,000 for an American car no matter what it is. Isn't that what the Blue devil is projected to come in at?

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMHO

GM should bring back the ZL1 and Stingray monikers. Maybe get some old money looking at Corvette again. It could be possible to market a $100k 'Vette under the guise of price:performance ratio and global performance comparisons.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
poncherello said:
I don't think I'd ever pay upwards of $100,000 for an American car no matter what it is. Isn't that what the Blue devil is projected to come in at?
Why not? People spent that on ZR-1's when they came out... and they paid that for the Callaways.... there is a market for a supervette, no doubt.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Patrick said:
Why not? People spent that on ZR-1's when they came out... and they paid that for the Callaways.... there is a market for a supervette, no doubt.:thumbsup:

:agree: I also like bringing back the Sting Ray, but not Stingray.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Some stuff..

I'm a Newbie so go easy if this is common knowledge here...

GM has opened a hyper shop out side of Detroit to hand build some engines (ZL-1's?).

And, IMO the General needs something to entice the hard-core Corvette fanatics who feel the C6 is a bit too tame. The Manufacturers seem to be back into the raw power game, this time with finesse (with comfort, good mileage & dependability). The LS7 seems to fit the bill. Now for some exotic body work.

A Mosler or Callaway C12 style Corvette will be hard to resist, even at $100k.

C'ya
D

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
I know it does not sound credible but while at the DC auto show the presenter for the Cadillac Cien said when I asked if hey were building the Cien, "They'er not building it but I overheard they were building a "Super Corvette" called the "Blue Devil" with specs similar with the Cien." :partyon:

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Do you think they will build the Blue Devil

With all of the evidence form insiders and magazines I think they will and-

I know it does not sound credible but while at the DC auto show the presenter for the Cadillac Cien said when I asked if hey were building the Cien, "They'er not building it but I overheard they were building a "Super Corvette" called the "Blue Devil" with specs similar with the Cien."

·
Registered
9 Posts
If Chevy does bring out the supervette, why not call it the Corvette C6 Grand Sport?

After all, that was the super=est Vette of them all.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I'd pay $100k for a Corvette as quick as I'd pay it for a Porshce or Ferrari. I've been a Corvette fan through and through since I was about 8 years old....I'd love to buy one of the first Corvette Supercars!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can Ford run the GT in the ALMS? If so, then GM better get the Supervette in production, or the Corvette racing program is going to have an uphill battle. Hey...shades of the Super Sport program from the 60's.
Let the horsepower wars begin:whip:

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
They should name it Grand Sport and take it racing, then the Grand Sport Corvette will have finally made it to Le Mans since the original 1963 models were meant to go racing at Le Mans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
American Supercar Market

While there are many who won't pay $100 large plus for anything without a foreign pedigree, since the days of Briggs Cunningham and the Ford GTs of the 60s, there have been patriots who just want a real American supercar, and have the jack to pay for it.

The Corvette is the quintessential American sports car, therefore it's the ideal base for a real American SuperSports.

Let's get the new Blue Devil/ C6 Grand Sport out there... and winning for the Red, White and Blue.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Yea, if $50k can buy you a car (corvette) worthy of $100k foreign sportscar in terms of performance then a $100k car based on that $50k would simply murder them foreign cars. Now the problem for me is finding someone to loan me $99,999......

Chevrolet doesn't need to do it to impress us Vetters but to once and for all end sports-car debate, well it would help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
poncherello said:
A little snobby, don't you think? Do you think the Germans or the Japanese might have paid a few dollars for one of those crappy B-29s in WWII--you know, with the 5000 mile range, radar guided gun turrets, pressurized cockpit, and 20,000 pound bomb load carried in dual bomb bays, the ones our crappy US engineers designed that was by far the finest heavy bomber of WWII?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Grand Sport --- Yes - all the other dumb names people have come up with and this simple repeat seems the best to me.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts