Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
ragvette said:
Which one is the most popular?
I use Motorola FRS radios with the sub-channels. Since all FRS radios are limited in range by the FCC, all radios are just as good as others.

Since most FRS radios now have the sub-channels, just find a set that is the cheapest!

:cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Motorola here also. If you can see your budy's vehicle ahead or behind you (line of sight), you can much garantee a good transmit/reception.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Re: What brand of two-way radio?

Patrick said:
I use Motorola FRS radios with the sub-channels. Since all FRS radios are limited in range by the FCC, all radios are just as good as others.

Since most FRS radios now have the sub-channels, just find a set that is the cheapest!

:cheers:
That's a common misperception. FCC doesn't limit range, they limit efrfective transmitter power. There is no limit on how good the reciever section can be and there is a difference in performance.

GMRS radios share some of the same frequincies with the FRS radios but the basic GMRS radios have 4 times the allowable power. You are supposed to send in a license form for GMRS radios, but most people don't bother. GMRS radios average about double the range of FRS radios.

Dick

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
My brain is in dumb mode. What is a GMRS radio

·
Registered
76 Posts
Torch Red 2K said:
My brain is in dumb mode. What is a GMRS radio
General Mobil Radio Service.

The GMRS radios I refered to look and work the same as FRS radios except they have 2 Watts tansmit power instead of 1/2 Watt. They look the same and share several of the same channels, so you can use them with people who only have FRS radios. They are made by many of the same companies as FRS radios.

There is more to GMRS that that, but those are the nice cheap high powered hand GMRS helds.

There is a new radio service in VHF instead of UHF called MURS that allows also 2 Watts but outperforms GMRS. Downside to MURS is that it isn't nearly as common and costs more and won't talk to the El Cheapo FRS radios. GMRS looks like the ideal solution for casual walkie talkie use betweeen cars

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
The problem with GMRS is no one has them. If I go on a cruise with 20 vettes, almost everyone has an FRS radio, no one has a GMRS.

I hope they do away with the license requirement, that's such a hassle.:(

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have the same ones as Pat. They work great when we go to the slopes.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Icom has a good one. The Icom F21 operates on GMS frequencies (Plus 7 channels shared with FRS. jUST bought one with our club (pvca). works great.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts