Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,

I am narrowing down my build greatly in the last day or two and the cam specs are getting pretty close. The final piece is the clutch. I am trying to get a clutch that can hold the power but isn't too crazy on the street.

Trying to stay under $1000 if possible.

I was looking at the SPEC clutches Stage 2+ or 3+ seen good and bad things on those depending on whos talking.

Also the Monster Stage 3, even though they only are 6 puck design. They said it would dicipate heat better than the full faced though.

I want to do either with the lightweight flywheel, ill get used it on the streets like everything else. But for the track I hear it will do well.

Really looking for some feedback on clutches here in a reasonable price range.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I used to have a SPEC 3 with aluminum flywheel. It had balance problems at first, but after they were worked out it was a good clutch. It held up well for street driving and some track use. I had it for a 347 rwhp bolt on car and then used it with a 440rwhp h/c combo and it worked well in those combos.

The only complaint I have with it, it's a ceramic and very 'sticky'. I broke it in and it was fine, but if you didn't give it enough revs and tried to 'muscle' it from a stop, it chattered.

I went with a Textrailia and steel flywheel for my 403. It's very similar to the SPEC.

Both clutches have a heavy pedal, at least for me. It's rough in extended stop and go traffic. When I got my new Z I couldn't believe how light the clutch was compared.

One thing to be aware of, some clutches 'stick' to the floor. I know the stock clutch will from what I've read, and my buddy has a LUK Gold setup, and it sticks every time he has fun with it.

I'm getting ready to completely redo my drivetrain as soon as all the parts arrive. I'm going to try an RPS lightweight dual carbon this time. I'm told the pedal pressure is more like 'stock' and it won't chatter... more to be revealed as I complete the conversion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bitting the Bullet

If i am debating going to a twin disk, like the LS9, what is the best twin disk clutch for good drivability on the street but will hold on the road race track.

I think they will ALL hold my power, if i am spending $1500 or less then i want the Best bang for that buck.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
If i am debating going to a twin disk, like the LS9, what is the best twin disk clutch for good drivability on the street but will hold on the road race track.

I think they will ALL hold my power, if i am spending $1500 or less then i want the Best bang for that buck.

Any ideas?
The best bang for your buck is not always the best buck for the car, get a new ZR1 clutch from GM and a flywheel to fit your car from Lingenfelter and you will be happy for 600rwhp. The pedal will be the best, like factory and the clutch will be warranty by GM for your power.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LS9 it will be

I was looking at MOREL high RPM lifters, but the LS7 ones seem to be reviewed fine so that massive change in price made room for the LS9 clutch which seem to be the best of all worlds.

One decision down, now need to start pulling triggers getting the parts on the way.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I was looking at MOREL high RPM lifters, but the LS7 ones seem to be reviewed fine so that massive change in price made room for the LS9 clutch which seem to be the best of all worlds.

One decision down, now need to start pulling triggers getting the parts on the way.
I believe the LS7 lifters are the same for LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7. Not sure about the LS3 or LS9, but they are the OEM replacement for those motors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will these still work with an aftermarket cam, with lift rougly around .600?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Prettiest Lifters

These are the best looking IMO. These are like jewelery. This Pic is my Harland Sharp & Trickflow 225s.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Will these still work with an aftermarket cam, with lift rougly around .600?
Absolutely.
I strongly suggest to look into having the OEM rockers upgraded with the Comp trunion kit or having them rebuilt by Harland Sharp.

Excellent choice on the clutch and flywheel. I know A&A had them a while back, might want to give them a call.

BTW, be ready for the top of your head to fall off from smiling so wide when you get on it for the first time. I love the torque from my 403...It's absolutley violent when I want it to be, and tame as a DD when it needs to be.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts

+1 I hear the LS9 retrofit is the way to go.... all aftermarket clutches suck :thud:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would you guys recommend the COMP upgrade or the HarlandSharp route??? Both look similar the COMP one looks to be done more often.

I can't wait till i get it broken it with everything and really get to go step on it. Going to be beside myself all over again like when I drove the car for the first time.

Absolutely.
I strongly suggest to look into having the OEM rockers upgraded with the Comp trunion kit or having them rebuilt by Harland Sharp.

Excellent choice on the clutch and flywheel. I know A&A had them a while back, might want to give them a call.

BTW, be ready for the top of your head to fall off from smiling so wide when you get on it for the first time. I love the torque from my 403...It's absolutley violent when I want it to be, and tame as a DD when it needs to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts