• Nitrous: oh Hell YA !!! vROOOOOM!!

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you quench your vetts thirst with ?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Usually BP 93

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I used to think it was a crappy brand but you can hardly go 2 feet anymore (around here anyway) without running into a station, Citgo premium 93 octane.

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Regular, heard if it's not knocking don't put the extra in it. I used to stick a bottle of 104 octane booster in the 66, but didn't notice to much differance in it to warrant the 8-9 dollars a bottle.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Usually amoco 93 works fine.

I have to admit, I was a bit of a tight wad a few years back and used 87 octane. LOL, I thought, as long as I didn't go wot(which I didn't) I'd be fine. I don't do that any longer.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
92 or 93, no brand loyalty.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
All I can buy for an 80 mile radius is regular 87 octane garbage. I think water burns better......Any octane boost suggestions????

·
Registered
36 Posts
Slickstick said:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

If your car doesn't ping on regular then premium is a waste of money.
The problem with that logic is when you use a lower octane fuel, the computer will adjust and alter the timing. As a result, you will have a slight reduction in power, reduced efficiency and possibly no pinging. I agree that excess octane is a waste of money but you should use what is required for maximum efficiency.

·
Banned
591 Posts
Bluvette1 said:
Premo only 93 :partyon:
wish 93 was available in CA.:nuts:

at least we can drive our vettes in the winter:partyon:

·
Registered
22 Posts
shockwave said:
The problem with that logic is when you use a lower octane fuel, the computer will adjust and alter the timing. As a result, you will have a slight reduction in power, reduced efficiency and possibly no pinging. I agree that excess octane is a waste of money but you should use what is required for maximum efficiency.

Of course you should use the manufacturers recommended octane.
The only difference between premium and regular is the amount of anti-knock compounds. To use premium in a low compression engine like a 190 hp L48 really is a waste of money and will not increase performance. There definately is a difference in the quality of brands of gas.

Can the computer tell what octane the gas is?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Slickstick said:
Of course you should use the manufacturers recommended octane.
The only difference between premium and regular is the amount of anti-knock compounds. To use premium in a low compression engine like a 190 hp L48 really is a waste of money and will not increase performance. There definately is a difference in the quality of brands of gas.

Can the computer tell what octane the gas is?
The C5 has knock sensors so if a knock is detected from pinging, the computer will change the timing to reduce the pinging. It's a crude system which can't really analyze the octane level of the fuel but can detect pinging. Hence you can get away with using a lower octane fuel but may get a reduction in performance as a result. Personally, I would prefer to get all the performance I paid for and not worry about saving a few cents by using a lower octane fuel.

However, if the engine is designed with a lower compression ratio that can work without knocking on a low octane fuel, it is a total waste of money to buy a octane level that exceeds your needs. The other issue is a higher octane fuel burns a little slower then the low octane fuel. If you use too high of an octane level you may get reduced performance due to the slower burning nature of the higher octane fuel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts