Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Looks like a good motor, but I have NEVER heard of D.R.E.

I would be hesitant about purchasing a motor built from someone I had no knowledge or background info on.

At least with the ZZ4, you know exactly what you are getting and who it comes from. Not to mention the reputation of that crate motor.

·
Registered
271 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Looks like a good motor, but I have NEVER heard of D.R.E.

I would be hesitant about purchasing a motor built from someone I had no knowledge or background info on.

At least with the ZZ4, you know exactly what you are getting and who it comes from. Not to mention the reputation of that crate motor.
:agree: If I were going to drop that kinda money, I would rather deal with a more reputable source, also something within my area as well if there were any probs as it would be easier to address them also...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if that is a hijacked eBay account. The seller is (was) a chick that sells games. Why now is she selling an engine? And free shipping? $200.00 off for quick payment? and free painting?

If it sounds too good to be true........

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a golf club from a seller that only sold dolls. It was $160 or so but I did realize I might lose it. $2k is too much to take a chance on.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Max-

Surprise Arizona is out in my neck of the woods. I could not find a local phone book or internet directory listing for Discount racing Engines or D.R.E.

My opinion: stick with your plan to buy the ZZ4. I used a ZZ4 shortblock with Edelbrock top end parts in my 69 and it is a fantastic engine. it makes 380 HP, over 400 Lb/Ft of torque, has a great choppy idle, and runs like a scalded dog (12.51 on BFG radial T/A's)
I'm a VERY experienced Corvette engine builder (5 years with GM, over 50 L98's, LT1's and LT4's and even an LT5 in that time) I've also designed and built about ten engines for my own and friend's cars over the past 15 years.

Here's why I would steer clear of the Ebay engine:

1) The 109 degree lobe separation angle of the cam is too tight for a street engine with power accessories. this cam would make very little vacuum, get HORRENDOUS gas mileage and would probably make your car's emissions too high. a street driven Corvette owner should cam their car with a lobe separation angle in the 112 degree range. this is the best compromise for power, emissions, and vacuum.

2) This engine has iron heads. it says they have been re-worked, but with all the great, high quality aluminum heads out there, your better off going aluminum. Aluminum allows you to run a higher compression engine (up to 10:1) without detonation (great for Corvettes). Aluminum also dissipates heat better than iron, so your cooling system doesn't work as hard (also great for Corvettes).

3) He says Federal Mogul flat top pistons, but he doesn't say whether they're cast, forged, or Hyperautectic. Hyperautectic pistons are most expensive, but they are worth every penny for durability's sake. the ZZ4 engine uses these. Forged pistons generate more heat, and cast pistons are too weak for the demands of RPM ranges above about 5000.

4) It says NOTHING about the crankshaft, which leads me to assume that it's cast, not forged. A small block Chevy that makes over 375 Lb/Ft of torque should have a forged crank for strength and durability.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your 75.

-Robert:cool:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
sgt538 said:
I wonder if that is a hijacked eBay account. The seller is (was) a chick that sells games. Why now is she selling an engine? And free shipping? $200.00 off for quick payment? and free painting?

If it sounds too good to be true........
I've been seeing more and more hijacking of e-bay accounts.

People should use PASSWORDS that are not crackable by a "brute force" password hack.

In other words, if your password is in the dictionary, you might as well leave your front door unlocked at home too.

To use symbols or numbers in your password is the difference between a latch and a dead-bolt.

For instance, instead of your password being "Sanford" you should make it "$anf0rd" ... or something like that.

Didn't mean to change the subject, just thought this could help others from getting your e-bay account hi-jacked.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There's probably nothing wrong with it but, I wouldn't take the chance unless I was local to their shop. That's still a good chunk of change to risk.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A zz-4 is a nice engine but you can definetly get alot more bang for your buck elsewhere. I got my engine from www.allchevyengines.com & love it (yes I drive it spirited regularly) ! The owner will let you upgrade parts for minimal $! Good luck whatever you decide! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info.

It looks very nice and indeed more bang for the buck.
But these are rebuilds,right ?

just keep giving your opinions, because I'm not realy to familiar with all those parts and don't know wich are good or the ones to stay away from.

I apreciate the help.

S.

·
Registered
0 Posts
stingraymax said:
Thanks for the info.

It looks very nice and indeed more bang for the buck.
But these are rebuilds,right ?

just keep giving your opinions, because I'm not realy to familiar with all those parts and don't know wich are good or the ones to stay away from.

I apreciate the help.

S.
Yes they are rebuilds but he uses all quality stuff. Good name parts. My mechanic said he couldnt build me the same engine for what I paid. You can have him custom build you an engine with the parts you want...That is what I did. Good luck! :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts