Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a tuned port intake for free. All i need is a computer and a wiring harness. i was told to buy an ECU out of a non MAF vette. What year migth that be and what other problems might i have putting it in my 79?

thanks
zach

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, i don't know what problems you might have with the 79, but the '93 was the last year without the MAF sensor. All it had was a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor, whereas the '94 and later only used the MAP as a backup. Hope that helps...

Gabe

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
You will need to add an Oxygen sensor and a Throttle position sensor. Which hopefully will come with the tpI manifold. The other problem is if the computer controls the transmission you have to have the computer or chip made to not control the trans. I think some one may make a transmission bypass plug. Those wiring companies already mentioned will help you here as this swap is getting pretty common place in the hot rod area.

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FiberglasMD said:
You will need to add an Oxygen sensor and a Throttle position sensor. Which hopefully will come with the tpI manifold. The other problem is if the computer controls the transmission you have to have the computer or chip made to not control the trans. I think some one may make a transmission bypass plug. Those wiring companies already mentioned will help you here as this swap is getting pretty common place in the hot rod area.
Well i never thought about that. My vette has a 700r4. so if i get a ecu out of an fbody i might be able to set it up to control the tranny too. would that be good?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was thinking 93 ECM. Your suggestion of the 92 F Body ECM will avoid the trans. control problem. I was worried about setting a Trans code in the computer. I was at a car show where we had a 93 and 2 94's parked side by side. I always assumed an LT1 had the same fuel injection. But you could see the difference from the 93 to my 94's fuel injection. Then Chevrolet added the electronic controlled Trans., changed the seats, and dash. I think also the 94 has sequential fuel injection also.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
FiberglasMD said:
I was thinking 93 ECM. Your suggestion of the 92 F Body ECM will avoid the trans. control problem. I was worried about setting a Trans code in the computer. I was at a car show where we had a 93 and 2 94's parked side by side. I always assumed an LT1 had the same fuel injection. But you could see the difference from the 93 to my 94's fuel injection. Then Chevrolet added the electronic controlled Trans., changed the seats, and dash. I think also the 94 has sequential fuel injection also.
Correct, but the 93 Vette ECM is LT1 ONLY. it will not work with TPI since the LT1 used a HI res, and Low res signal from the Opti-spark.

I have been searching for a way to use the LT1 ecm with a TPI application but have not found one yet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So on a 93 Vette LT1 there is no distributor feed on the ECM just the lo and hi resolution feed from the opti? That's the problem? I like trouble shooting electrical. I do aftermarket electrical add on installs. Cruise, keyless, etc. I never say never.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts