Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering since purchasing a C3.:D I think all C3's are suppose to be Stingray's, are they not? Are the C2's considered Stingrays too and if not what were they called?

Just one of those many questions related to older Corvette's I seem to keep coming up with.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I always thought the true Stingrays were 63 to 67 Vettes.
Lets see who chimes in. Good question.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
C2 - '63 - '67

Sting Ray

C3 - '69 - '76

Stingray

:cheers:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well The True Sting Rays where the Mid Years 63 thru 67 then In 69 thru 76 they where Stingray in one Script word on the side fenders.. 77 just had the 2 flags on the fenders

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...very interesting guys.

I wonder why the 68 isn't considered a Stingray...wierd.:huh:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Hmmm...very interesting guys.

I wonder why the 68 isn't considered a Stingray...wierd.:huh:
C3's where to be named "Sharks" after the Mako Shark II.

The Sting Ray name was suppose to go away for ever with the end of the C2 styling.
Only the C2's where to be known as the Sting Ray.

"Stingray" (one word) was brought back in '69 as a marketing gimmick.:thumbsup:

If you look at the body design of each generation, the C2 resembles a Sting Ray in shape and the C3 resembles the shape of a Shark. :thumbsup:

http://www.thelastcorvette.com/
The Last Sting Ray
The "Last"™ Corvette VIN #22940 marks the milestone of unfortunate events, i.e.: escalation of the Vietnam War, the protests against it, worldwide political unrest, 3 astronauts die in a fire aboard Apollo 1, the Doors record "The End", and as many know that as GM/Chevrolet finally got it right they proceeded with the 1968 Shark C-3 production which many believed marked "the end" and the eventual anemic horsepower ratings that came with later C-3's.

This Corvette is the "Last"™ 1967 Corvette, the "Last"™ Sting Ray, the "Last"™ mid-year, the "Last"™ mid-year big block, the "Last"™ mid-year air Corvette, the "Last"™ mid-year factory side exhaust Corvette, the "Last"™ mid-year Corvette Coupe, the "Last"™ C-2, the "Newest" 1967 Corvette, the "Last"™ real Corvette, the "End" of a great era of the Corvette, and harbinger to the end of American muscle.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 68 and it is considered a Shark thus no Stingray insignia on the sides.

63 thru 67 were Sting Rays
69 thru I believe 76 were Stingrays

One word vs two words vs no word

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
C2 - '63 - '67

Sting Ray

C3 - '69 - '76

Stingray

:cheers:
I think this is the correct answer. I had a '74 which had the Stingray emblem on the front fender and I had a '77 that looked nearly identical with no stingray emblem. I think it ended in '76.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
My 1977 is a Corvette. Plain and simple. If it needs sub model classification, it's an L48.

I personally think the Sting/Ray should have ended with the 1967.

Why? Let me put it this way. The stingray badge on the '69 through '76, was just a metal sticker. You take the Stingray badge off of a '76 and it's the same as my '77.

Seriously, if you put a Ford Mustang emblem on the Fender of a Corvette...it doesn't make it a Mustang. LOL. :smack

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
My 1977 is a Corvette. Plain and simple. If it needs sub model classification, it's an L48.

Why? Let me put it this way. The stingray badge on the '69 through '76, was just a metal sticker. You take the Stingray badge off of a '76 and it's the same as my '77.

Seriously, if you put a Ford Mustang emblem on the Fender of a Corvette...it doesn't make it a Mustang. LOL. :smack
I'm glad you don't write the history books. The 68 and the 77 along with the Sting_Ray and the StingRay are just chapters in the life of our beloved Corvette. Just because I carry the name of my father Ivan P. Burke does not mean that I am any less Ivan P. Burke than he was.

The 63 to 67 were Sting_Rays the 68's were 68's the 69 to 76 Were StingRays. They are all great Corvettes. There all great from the first one that roared to life in 1953 to the last one they started on the line today...

·
Registered
116 Posts

Please post pictures of you Vette with Mustang emblems!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I'm glad you don't write the history books. The 68 and the 77 along with the Sting_Ray and the StingRay are just chapters in the life of our beloved Corvette. Just because I carry the name of my father Ivan P. Burke does not mean that I am any less Ivan P. Burke than he was.

The 63 to 67 were Sting_Rays the 68's were 68's the 69 to 76 Were StingRays. They are all great Corvettes. There all great from the first one that roared to life in 1953 to the last one they started on the line today...

How very, VERY, true. My opinion is that the C2 was truly a Sting Ray. The badge was added to the C3 as an after thought, and removed for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What makes a corvette a Stingray? Let me see :rolleyes:

1.As Forrest Gump would put it (I like Stingray) or was it shrimp.:D

2.Was Stingray ever a option package? I dont know.:huh:

3.Was a GTO a goat? May be.:devil:

4. Maybe the vega steering wheel in my 76 makes it a Stingray? I dont think so.:smack

All jokes aside I think Stingray is just a cool name given to describe a really cool car and its beautiful body lines. :thumbsup:The name was juggled a few times for the sake of marketing so GM could make an extra buck and confuse the folks on this forum.:WTF

Personally I just like the name Stingray:partyon: and plan on displaying the emblems on my finished 76. Not because it originally had the Stingray badge on it but I think the name just fits the corvette well and I like it.:D And I can say, nothing about my vette is original, its like a blank canvas waiting for me to discover what the finished product will be

.:cheers: Mark:cheers:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I wonder why the 68 isn't considered a Stingray...wierd.:huh:...
No Stingray scripts on the 68s and none on the 77 and later cars.

Technically, the 69-76 model years are Stingrays due to the fender scripts.

No big deal. All are C3s, all are Sharks, and all are Corvettes.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.:thumbsup:

I guess I'll just consider my 69 a bad ass Corvette....since that's really what it is or will soon be (as the case may be). ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts