Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of the seats in the Corvette. The drivers' side seat of my '09 Z51, with only 24K+ miles, already has a hole worn n the leader cover of bolster where it wears against the sharp form inside the seat.

I'm a fairly skinny guy (140 lbs) and I don't even wear a wallet in my back pocket. I know that these bolster areas are weak so I take care getting in and out of the car, still the leather upholstery has already worn through...

In my first C6 (2006 LT1), the seat wore through at around 15K miles. I bought it used with around 14K miles on the clock. The dealer fixed it under warranty and they had more padding added to the problem area as well as effecting the repair. What I don't get is why after so many years GM continues to make the same crappy seat with the same design or manufacturing flaws.

Of all the cars I've owned for the last 30+ years, this is the only one that has such defective seats. Even the cheapest Nissan had better designed seats. Don't even get me started comparing the Recaro seats in my Lancer EVO cars or seats in the WRX. My wife's Maxima has leather seats that are in perfect shape after 8 years of use! Even my old Miata with over 150K miles of hard use and exposure to the elements had seats that held up better.

Oh well, I just have to rant, it's hard to accept that a $56K flagship car has such poorly designed and made seats. I'm going to the dealer Monday to see about arranging the repairs. I'm sure that they'll take care of it under warranty, but it still rankles to know what poor finish quality my hard earned money bought :down:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of the seats in the Corvette. The drivers' side seat of my '09 Z51, with only 24K+ miles, already has a hole worn n the leader cover of bolster where it wears against the sharp form inside the seat.
This is nothing new, my C5 seat had the same sharp "object" pushing against the bolster. I was always wondering when it would just push through. I sold it after 3 years and 9000 miles without it coming through. The quality of those seats always disappointed me. A car like that should have a seat similiar to the SRT8 seats....I know they're heavier but they are much better seats all around.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Made In Mexico

Soon The WHole Car Will Be "Made IN Mexico"

"Hecho en mexico"

"Fabrique en Mexique"

Gm after their taxpayer bailout

is building a $500 million Dollar Assembly plant in Mexico to Show you all their appreciation:nuts:

Comprendo lol

Bon

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made In Mexico

Soon The WHole Car Will Be "Made IN Mexico"

"Hecho en mexico"

"Fabrique en Mexique"

Gm after their taxpayer bailout

is building a $500 million Dollar Assembly plant in Mexico to Show you all their appreciation:nuts:

Comprendo lol

Bon
That might be part of the problem, but you can't blame the Mexicans for a poor design. Besides, the Vette is supposed to be made in Kentucky, right? Anyway, after making bad seats for one year, that should be enough for them to correct them. It's an outrage that they continue to make the same mistake for years and years...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Since the Corvette can compete with cars twice it's price in terms of performance components, it's obvious that GM has to keep the costs down in terms of creature comforts and interior material. If GM spent the same amount of money fitting the Corvette interior that Porshe or even Caddillac does, I'm sure the cost would escalate pretty quickly beyond the price range of most buyers.

The good news is that there are so many quality aftermarket alternatives.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My seats still look pretty good even 24,000 miles and 5 years later.:lookinup:
Good for you, but that's no consolation to me. This is my second C6 with the same problem..... Do you have an LT1? Maybe you have the upgraded package where the seat goes back automatically to the furthest back position and returns to your driving position when you push the ignition?

That would explain why you are not wearing out the side bolster when you get in and out of the car...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the Corvette can compete with cars twice it's price in terms of performance components, it's obvious that GM has to keep the costs down in terms of creature comforts and interior material. If GM spent the same amount of money fitting the Corvette interior that Porshe or even Caddillac does, I'm sure the cost would escalate pretty quickly beyond the price range of most buyers.

The good news is that there are so many quality aftermarket alternatives.
Sorry, that does not wash... My Corvette cost over $56K and it's basically a base model with the Z51 package. Sure the Vette is a great car and a bargain. But so are other cars that cost a fraction of the cost. Not trying to be a hater, but I owned 2 EVO VIII's and they are incredibly good, high performance cars. AWD, turbocharged, all aluminum suspensio, huge Brembo brakes, all kinds of special, heavy duty components, aluminum body panels, special welded construction, etc, etc. And they did not cut back on the buold quiality or the interior quality. Sure, they are still a cheaper looking (like the Vette) interior, with lots of plastic, etc. But the Recaro seats are top notch and none of the interior (or exterior) parts and pieces fall off or wear out like the Vette. And they cost a lot less than a base C6 coupe :rolleyes: I'm trying hard not to compare the build quality of my C6 with the other cars I've owned, but it's a tough job when the f****ng side of the seat shell pokes out through the leather after less than 2 years of service and kid glove care....

And why should I have to buy aftermarket seats in a flagship car? Surely it's not because I just want different, more expensive seats. I don't have the kind o resources to just go out there and drop several thousand extra bucks on seats because my (nearly) new car seats have failed already.:crazy:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Good for you, but that's no consolation to me. This is my second C6 with the same problem..... Do you have an LT1? Maybe you have the upgraded package where the seat goes back automatically to the furthest back position and returns to your driving position when you push the ignition?

That would explain why you are not wearing out the side bolster when you get in and out of the car...
Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with your seats wearing. I was just letting you know not everyone has an issue with them.;)

Like the guy before me said, luckily lots of aftermarket options are available.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with your seats wearing. I was just letting you know not everyone has an issue with them.;)

Like the guy before me said, luckily lots of aftermarket options are available.:thumbsup:
Thanks, I'm just venting. I'm sure that others have no problems with their seats. But I would be shocked to find out that I was the only one with such bad "luck"... And like I said before, Even if I was in a position to blow lots of cash on afternarket stuff, I would not want to do it unless it was by choice and not need. I still think it's outrageous to get such bad build quality in such a car like the Corvette.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Thanks, I'm just venting. I'm sure that others have no problems with their seats. But I would be shocked to find out that I was the only one with such bad "luck"... And like I said before, Even if I was in a position to blow lots of cash on afternarket stuff, I would not want to do it unless it was by choice and not need. I still think it's outrageous to get such bad build quality in such a car like the Corvette.
It's an 09, have you talked to the dealer about it? Perhaps they could replace them for you?:huh: If it's that bad, I don't see why it wouldn't be covered. I'm sure they want your input and to make sure your a satisfied customer! Good luck.

Let us know.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Old news. Maybe for the C7 there will be some improvements. For us C6 guys all we can do is swap them out or bitch about them. :down:

·
Registered
559 Posts
That might be part of the problem, but you can't blame the Mexicans for a poor design. Besides, the Vette is supposed to be made in Kentucky, right? Anyway, after making bad seats for one year, that should be enough for them to correct them. It's an outrage that they continue to make the same mistake for years and years...
Personally I have no issues the seats, But to be more accurate the Vette is assembled in Kentucky.
It is anybodys guess as to where the parts are made:crazy:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
What's the difference in materials between the 1lt - 4lt seats? Are the better quality?

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Nuance, assembled in Kentucky, e.g. electronics don't come from BG.

I believe the fiber glass stuff is made on site though.

a++ Cedric

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 200 pounds, and just drove mine 1800 miles in 5 days, and it wasn't too bad. Although, I think I broke my seat.

I went to sit in it, and heard a crack sound, and now it creaks. I'll be bringing to the dealer this Tuesday for them to look at.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's an 09, have you talked to the dealer about it? Perhaps they could replace them for you?:huh: If it's that bad, I don't see why it wouldn't be covered. I'm sure they want your input and to make sure your a satisfied customer! Good luck.

Let us know.
I made an appointment to go to the dealer on Monday. I'm pretty sure they will fix it under warranty. I don't have many complaints about the service and GM honoring their warranty so far. Actually, the car is pretty damned nice over all. It's just that the shoddy quality of the build is so out of character with the car and just so inferior that it is extremely hard to ignore.
I'll let you all know how it goes after I speak with the service manager.

The LT3 option with seat memory is definitely the way to go with the C6

My seats still look brand new with 9000 miles on the '09

Sorry to hear about your seat problem!
Yes, I thought about that when I had my first C6. No doubt that the memory seat would all but eliminate that problem. My seats look pretty good now except for the tear through the bolster cover. However, even if they held up better, the seats are not properly supportive or comfy, specially for a sports car. I think (and I always thought) that most Corvette owners are not very competitive or spirited drivers. I think most Corvette owners just enjoy owning the cars and taking them out for pleasure drives on sunny days and stuff like that. Of course, I'm not saying *all* Corvette owners fit in that category so please don't incinerate me ;) Anyway, if more Corvette owners were competitive drivers, GM would have never been able to get away with those seats.

I don't believe that the LT2 trim is any better in quality that the LT1, however, that memory seat feature makes hitting the side bolster with your butt much more difficult. The problem is the extra cost. Some of us Corvette drivers are not as flush with cash or wish to get it as much debt as others. I pretty much reached as deep as I could into my pockets to write the check for my 'Vette (and that's when I had a regular income).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts