Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the shops that are charging between $ 5-8 K. for a paint job....can i expect a very high quality prep job as well as paint job ? What is involved with prepping the vette the best way ?? Thanks. Dave

B

·
0 Posts
Thats a good question. I would assume that a pro prep job would consist of total striping of the paint down to the body panels before adding the primer/basecoat/clearcoat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BIG LAW MAN said:
Thats a good question. I would assume that a pro prep job would consist of total striping of the paint down to the body panels before adding the primer/basecoat/clearcoat.

And...how many coats of primer, basecoat and clear coat would one expect a professional shop to put on , for a price of approx. $7 k. ??? Thanks, Dave

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
SwaveDave said:
And...how many coats of primer, basecoat and clear coat would one expect a professional shop to put on , for a price of approx. $7 k. ??? Thanks, Dave
Depends on the primer, depends on the person doing the application.... and depends how good of a job they want to do!

If you think about it, primer is simply the layer between the fiberglass and the topcoat. As long as the primer completely covers and seals the glass, then they don't have to put any more on.

The trick is getting that body baby-smooth before they apply the primer. The only way to get that car baby-smooth is for them to put in the time and effort.

Paint costs are the same for all paint shops. 90% of the cost of a paint-job is labor. So, the more they charge, generally the more labor they put into the prep and painting.

Just my 2 cents! :thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,410 Posts
Patrick is very right. Prep is everything. With a super smooth surface to work with, just about any competant painter can lay down a good finish, but the best painter in the wordl can't make a car look good with a surface that looks like it was prepped with a cinder block.

·
DC Crew
32,973 Posts
Prep is the key and you can do it yourself to save money. I wet sanded my car for 3 weeks before doing anything else then a friend of mine and I painted my car in a nasty little shed he calls a paint booth I have never buffed the paint so it could use it but for the $298.00 (yes $298) I have invested I think it looks great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am ready to do mine

What weight of sandpaper did you use...wet or dry. Any special tricks or strategies??? Thanks

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Dave-

I prepped and painted my black 69 myself. Here's how I did it:

I stripped the car with a chemical stripper. It took two months. A better suggestion is to hire someone with an industrial blaster and have them use walnut shell or acrylic beads to remove your old paint. A lot of guys say you can just sand your old old finish down with 150 grit and re-seal it, but I believe that a bare gelcoat substrate is the best way to go. After blasting, mask the car, wipe it with a good de-greaser (I use PPG DX440) and seal it with either an epoxy primer (like the PPG DP series), or a two part catalyzed polyester primer (messy and smelly stuff, I recommend the DP Primer). After that, lay on 2-3 coats of surfacing primer (again, I use PPG K36, tinted with the finish color to promote better color hiding). spray it with guide coat (mist on some cheap spray paint) Then wet sand, first with 320 grit to knock off the high spots, then 400 grit to level the surface and remove the remaining guide coat, then 600 grit to smooth it out. Wash the car thoroughly with a good detergent, then dry it, wipe it again with your degreaser and a tack cloth, then spray your topcoat (base/clear). After the clear dries for a day or two, wet sand again, this time start with 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000. Buff out the car with a good medium cut cleaner, then a fine cut cleaner, then a swirl remover, then wax or Zaino it.

Simple, huh? Of course this is a very condensed, step by step procedure and it is assuming your car needs no bodywork (mine did). If you need more specific details feel free to email me direct ([email protected]) I posted a few pics of my car so you can judge my results for yourself. They will be at this link once they are approved by the DC crew:My Black 69

·
Registered
64 Posts
SwaveDave said:
For the shops that are charging between $ 5-8 K. for a paint job....can i expect a very high quality prep job as well as paint job ? What is involved with prepping the vette the best way ?? Thanks. Dave
I have been told by a friend who has a car which has won international awards at Concours prepared events and NCRS that any re-paint should only be done after the old paint is completely stiripped off the car. I think this has to do with obtaining the right adhesion to the fibreglass and to accommodate the flex in the fibreglass panels. Sanding and painting over the original paint may eventually crack and craze. You dont want this to happen if you are applying a high end, high cost paint or if yo plan to show the car in serious competition.

Anyway, he recommends stripping the old paint yourself very carefully with a razor blade as the fastest way. Use 150 grit wet paper around the sharp edges and corners. Once that is done. wet sand the entire car using very fine grit paper.

Naturally you will want to remove all chrome, door handles and other trim first.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My car was DA'd down to the stock primer. It did not have any stress cracks luckily. A few areas required some sort of greenish putty. 84 GRANDSPORT knows what the exact name is...I'm not sure.

The car was then sealed/primed and wet sanded and painted.

I'm pretty sure it received two coats of base, two color, two clear. It was Glasurit Admiral Blue. It was done around now in 2000 and still looks great....thanks of course to Eric for wet sanding it for me this spring.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Jay 383 said:
My car was DA'd down to the stock primer. It did not have any stress cracks luckily. A few areas required some sort of greenish putty. 84 GRANDSPORT knows what the exact name is...I'm not sure.

The car was then sealed/primed and wet sanded and painted.

I'm pretty sure it received two coats of base, two color, two clear. It was Glasurit Admiral Blue. It was done around now in 2000 and still looks great....thanks of course to Eric for wet sanding it for me this spring.:thumbsup:
That green putty is body filler or Bondo. The Pics in the Gallary look very nice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Thanks

It's improved greatly since Eric 84 GRANDSPORT wet sanded and buffed it with 2000 grit.

I can't complain much about how it looks .

Thanks again for the kind words.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts