Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am trying to find a replacement coil spring for my 68. It currently has Moroso big block springs in it and they are shot. The car has a cummins diesel in it and I'd like to get the heaviest springs I can. 3 years ago when I built the car these Moroso springs were fine. 2 weeks ago when I sat my new engine in I noticed the control arms were way closer to my roll cage and it appeared the coil springs were almost totally collapsed. I'm guessing the moroso springs just didn't like the extra 250-300lbs I put on them. I've also heard the moroso springs don't hold their rates very long, but IDK for sure on that one. From what I can tell the F41 spring has a rate of 550lbs instead of 475 for a BBC A/C spring. Is that correct? I'd like to get a stock height spring if I can so I don't have the front end going up hill now or the oil pan dragging the ground. I saw Vette brakes and products's F41's lower the car 1" and I don't really want that. Can you guys recommend a source for them? I found some on ebay but would like to order these soon so I can get the car out and make some hits. Thanks for the help guys. Ryan.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Hey Ryan, I'm not sure of a good source of stiffer coils specifically for these cars, but if you're desperate you could consider the semi-coil-over kit from Speed Direct. With their adapter plates you can run any of their coil-over springs. Then you'd have lots of options for spring rates. :huh:
http://cmc.speeddirect.com/items.asp?Cc=SB_FRONT_COIL&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

A couple other things come to mind on this topic...

1. I know your front end weight is much greater than the typical C3, but typically guys look for softer front springs to get the nose up on the launch and let more weight transfer rearward. Maybe you don't need a heavier rate, but just longer springs?

2. If you get the front springs set up so you get the nose way up in the air you might also want to address the bump steer that is inherent in the stock suspension. Increased travel of the front suspension will result in lots of toe change and that's never good for stability.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I think I can get by with a stock length F41 spring. If I had the stock springs from this I would put those in there and go from there. I would love to go coil overs, but I put all my pesos into the engine and tranny lately. :laughing: I'll post up what I figure out.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up getting some 1000lb rated springs from them. They were great to deal with and really great about returning phone calls. Agan, thanks for the link. That really helped out a lot!

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
did you tell them what you had in your car? If so, what did they say? Bet they don't take that call very often :laughing:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you tell them what you had in your car? If so, what did they say? Bet they don't take that call very often :laughing:
Yes I did. The guy was like a what? The same engine that are in dodge trucks? I told him yep. He put me on hold and i was tansferred to the owner. He thought it was awesome and got right on finding a spring for my needs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I think I can get by with a stock length F41 spring. If I had the stock installed coil springs from this I would put those in there and go from there. I would love to go coil overs, but I put all my pesos into the engine and tranny lately. :laughing: I'll post up what I figure out.
Bump. From what I know, the stock rate was 280 lbs, F-41 was 550lbs. Any replacement coil springs are available at 475 lbs. But I were to ask, I might as well go for coil overs...and also custom wound, a much less expensive alternative don't you think?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I ended up getting some 1000lb rated springs from them. They were great to deal with and really great about returning phone calls. Agan, thanks for the link. That really helped out a lot!
1000 lbs? :surprised

How much, and who do I ask for?

I need these springs!!!!:devil:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
1000 lbs? :surprised

How much, and who do I ask for?

I need these springs!!!!:devil:
what do you need those for? A stiff ride isn't always the best for traction...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts