Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 6-speed '02 Coupe for 2 weeks now. I am getting about 14 MPG driving around town. Does this seem right? I drive a little aggressive, but nothing crazy. I thought it was supposed to get more like 20 in the city and 28 on the highway.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
StockTrader said:
I have had my 6-speed '02 Coupe for 2 weeks now. I am getting about 14 MPG driving around town. Does this seem right? I drive a little aggressive, but nothing crazy. I thought it was supposed to get more like 20 in the city and 28 on the highway.
14 MPG around town and 28 MPG on the highway is what I get in my C4.

There was just a recent discussion on this...

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6414
:thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
If you barely touch the throttle (keep the tach under 2K) you should get 20 city. Row the gears a few times and the mpg will go to hell. Check you highway. Fill up and go on a 100 mile or longer trip. Then check your mileage. Hey, what a good excuse to drive. "Dear, I'm going top go and check my mileage, I'll be back in 4 hours" :laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's an interesting bit of trivia for those of you who don't know. The CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards only allow manufacturers to test their cars' gas mileage up to 5th gear. So, for those cars that are 6-speeds, the gas mileage will actually be better than reported, usually on the highway.

Personally, I get about 30 MPG on a nice highway trip at about 65-70 mph. I have gotten as high as 40 for sustained periods of time with the cruise control locked and on a long straight road (I-16 on a trip to Savannah, for example). In town, I get about 20, but most of the time I drive the way that Torch Red 2K describes, very conservatively, and I have kept CAGS the whole time I've owned the C5.

·
Registered
24 Posts
budorygun said:
In my Vette I get 19-20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the Highway.:cheers:
Same here, and that is driving conservatively most of the time, but with intermittent bouts of lead foot.

2000 FRC dyno'ed at ~380 flywheel HP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an A4 w/3.15 gears. I drive it pretty easy; mostly around town/ to-from work with lots of stop and go traffic and I get 17.5-18.5. On a trip I can get 20 and change. It's the same as my wife's minivan so even though it's not what I would call great mileage, that's not why I bought the car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mine is all over the place based on where and how drive there. It's hard not let it make a little noise somewhere along the way though. Seems consumtion is porportional to how much music I make along the way...

It's very good on the road though if I stay around 70. On a return trip from Las Vegas, I had the computer watching gas milage, had it at 100mph and it was indicating 19MPG, with the air on as I recall. Ran it like that for few miles and it held 20mpg steady.

Sure didn't buy it for mileage but it sure seems to surprise everyone that asks and is fun to quote the sticker numbers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On the 02 Z06 I got 26 on a trip, averaged 18. On the 02 vert w/3:15 rear & auto I got 24 on the same trip & average 20 because I drive it slower around town than the Z.
Don

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2002 RED Z06 averages 26 mpg on the highway in 6th gear.

My 71 with a 454 LS7 crate engine and 4.56 rear end gets 9-10 mpg on the highway using 100 octane lowlead with 104 additive

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I'm with MOTO ONE average around 24 mpg for the last 22000 miles. That includes drag racing, autocross, and two runs across the Bonneville SaltFlats

Ivan

01 Speedway White/Black
Coupe, 6 speed, HUD, Hurst Shifter
2002 Z06 Flywheel assembly,
K&N Air filter

1 - 20 of 29 Posts