Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

What should we do about smilies?

• DO NOT add anymore, what is there is fine. Nice and clean.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • ADD more, they are fun and cute and we'd like 50 to choose from.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • ADD a few more.... call it a day.

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POLL: What is your opinion of smilies?

What is your opinion of adding more smilies (the little smiley face characters with different expressions) to the choices available?

I'm on the fence about it.

I've seen other forum sites simply get cluttered with smilies, and it looks like the fourth of July. It seems that ultimately people seem to get lazy and use the smiley instead of a meaningful response.

And, some people do it to rack-up their post count (which on this forum is meaningless because you all have your avatars).

So, what do you want to do? I'll let the voting run for a week or two.

Thanks! Your opinion is important, vote above!

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Smilies are good for a post in which you'd like your emotions clearly stated when a post sounds as if it could go one way or another.

Some posts sound like a flame or written out of anger when they are just simple jokes or fun play. I voted NO, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more smilies, just not 50! ;) :D

B

·
0 Posts
Just a few

I can't vote yet cause I think you need to have one more option in order to get an accurate consensus.

Suggestion: Add just a few more smilie choices, but no more than 20, ever.

Here are a few of my personal favorites:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Add a few more, but not too many. I don't like to scroll through a thread that is 3/4 just smilies. Is there a way to not allow posts with just a smiley, to make text mandatory in a post?

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arnie said:
Add a few more, but not too many. I don't like to scroll through a thread that is 3/4 just smilies. Is there a way to not allow posts with just a smiley, to make text mandatory in a post?
Without hacking the code (which I am 100% against, I've seen what that can do!) there is no way to only allow one. But, I can oddly control the amount of smilies you have side by side! (Currently set at 3, had no idea what to set it at).

Since digitalcorvettes is all about Corvettes and not "post counts" I hope that folks won't get into that habit.

Or, we'll tie them to the back of your drag car, and you can pull their arms off. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree with allowing more but not a lot of em.

i mean on one of the other forums im on www.chitownracing.com
we have like 150 diff smilies from a smile to a money shot. it kinda gets out of hand sometimes.

B

·
0 Posts
I say just use these two....

Gimme some metal, and give me the finger and Im a happy boy!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree that too many can be a bad thing.

As others have already stated, I don't like wading through a long list of posts that are nothing but smileys to get to a message with some actual text.

However, I do like the Thumbs Up one

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
64vette said:
I agree that too many can be a bad thing.

As others have already stated, I don't like wading through a long list of posts that are nothing but smileys to get to a message with some actual text.

However, I do like the Thumbs Up one
Ok, I will add some smilies. But, if anyone over-does it, I'm going on a deleting spree.... hahaha...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts